Windows 7 Where is my HDD? And my stereo sound?

Joriaan

Hi everyone, I'm new here :) I'll admit I'm a bit of a noob, so bear with me and ask questions if I'm babbling.

I just installed the beta of Windows 7 on my freshly repaired PC, and the installation had a few hitches but everything went alright. I chose to install Win7 on my 200gb harddrive and use a secondary 1TB harddrive as storage drive. Win7 found both HDD's during installation, but now I can't see my 1TB drive while in Win7 itself. I tried locating it with several programs and tricks, but no dice. I went back into BIOS and the both HDD's are still there and running perfectly.

Also, I have two stereo speakers hooked up via an old tuner to my PC. In WinXP this worked perfectly, I had sound over all the speakers (two desktop and two stereo). Win7 seems to have found the stereo speakers and the tests channel sound through 'm, but when I start listening to music or watch a movie (in VLC, Winamp, WMP) I don't get quadra-sound.

Any way to fix these issues?

Hi everyone, I'm new here :) I'll admit I'm a bit of a noob, so bear with me and ask questions if I'm babbling.

I just installed the beta of Windows 7 on my freshly repaired PC, and the installation had a few hitches but everything went alright. I chose to install Win7 on my 200gb harddrive and use a secondary 1TB harddrive as storage drive. Win7 found both HDD's during installation, but now I can't see my 1TB drive while in Win7 itself. I tried locating it with several programs and tricks, but no dice. I went back into BIOS and the both HDD's are still there and running perfectly.
Any way to fix these issues?

If the drive is empty then it won't show up in 'My Computer' by default. You will need to go into 'Folder Options' from Control Panel and click the 'View' tab. Then untick 'Hide empty drives...'.

Hope that helps!

If the drive is empty then it won't show up in 'My Computer' by default. You will need to go into 'Folder Options' from Control Panel and click the 'View' tab. Then untick 'Hide empty drives...'.

Hope that helps!
Unticked it, but no dice :( Thanks anyway, man :)

Well then you likely just need to reboot or restart Explorer to bring the settings change in effect. Maybe it was unproperly formatted? Try downloading a partition manager like EASEUS Home Edition, which is free. Maybe it can 'see' the drive and allow you to reformat?

Well then you likely just need to reboot or restart Explorer to bring the settings change in effect. Maybe it was unproperly formatted? Try downloading a partition manager like EASEUS Home Edition, which is free. Maybe it can 'see' the drive and allow you to reformat?
Thanks to you I found the problem. It seems Win7 made it's 100mb partition on my secondary drive, the 1TB one. So, in order to use it I have to create a new partition, but I'll also have to reformat the drive. I'm worried that Windows won't run anymore if I do this though... Any thoughts?

EDIT: never mind, EASEUS to the rescue. Thank you very, very much! =D

Now only the sound problem left.

Last edited:
Back