Windows 7 WHICH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 which don't cause BSOD???

kamiszful

I want to know some great antivirus programs which protect great pc and won't cause BSOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

All AV programs can, to more or lesser degrees, cause issues.

This is my list of Saints n Sinners after being involved in BSOD's for over two years and is not comprehensive by any means.

The Saintly
Link Removed due to 404 Error

The Good
Kaspersky
ESet

The Not So Good
Avast
Panda
Trend Micro

The Bad
AVG
Avira
McAfee
Spyware Terminator
Symantec Norton
PC Tools
Zone Alarm (Firewall)

Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

Great minds think alike... 1, quick, easy answer... no hesitation, hands down, no question... MSE

All AV programs can, to more or lesser degrees, cause issues.

This is my list of Saints n Sinners after being involved in BSOD's for over two years and is not comprehensive by any means.

The Saintly
Link Removed due to 404 Error

The Good
Kaspersky
ESet

The Not So Good
Avast
Panda
Trend Micro

The Bad
AVG
Avira
McAfee
Spyware Terminator
Symantec Norton
PC Tools
Zone Alarm (Firewall)

Well done...well done

I have yet to have BSOD problems with Kaspersky in Windows 7 over the 3 or 4 years that I have been using it. The only issues I have had with Kaspersky have to do with network access when installing some game that self update online - I sometimes have to manually configure application permissions in this situation. Outside of that Kaspersky has been perfect.

Sounds like a pi**ing contest to me. I won't play.

Once a PC is properly set up, it will run almost anything. Then it just amounts to a program that costs little or nothing and does what it's supposed to do, without hassling the user.

I run AVG 2012 Pro, and install the FREE version for all my customers and set it to get an update and run a scan, automatically every day. We all stay 100% virus free with never a BSOD, crash or freeze.
Any OS, right out of the box, without tuning, is just a car crash waiting to happen.

:cool:

Norton 360 6.0 or Norton Anti-Virus 2012 will protect you and won't slow your computer down ;). You can try it for free....

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Just my opinion since it never gave me any problems. Run these by themselves, they don't need OTHER Spyware or Malware removers running REAL TIME protection.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Once a PC is properly set up, it will run almost anything. Then it just amounts to a program that costs little or nothing and does what it's supposed to do, without hassling the user.

I 100% agree. I have never experienced a BSOD in my life (related to AV programs ;)). At the end of the day, it's using some brain cells to cross check compatibility before installation and maintaining your system prior to installation as well. There's no reason an anti-virus program should cause such issues if your PC is already working at least half-normal.

I ran AVG for many years, and never experienced any issues - with installation, operation or uninstallation.

Which brings me to my next point: common misconceptions about uninstalling anti-virus programs. While it can indeed be true that some programs will leave behind traces of their existence (actually almost guaranteed), and some may leave bigger traces than others, what get's left behind is only a few files, registry values and empty folders. It's not like half of your anti-virus program remains running in the background for as long as your have that PC. No. The above traces are what's left behind. Maybe a component or two, which you can easily uninstall from the Control Panel and then run CCleaner to clear the registry values and go to Program Files and delete un-needed folders.

/rantend

Opinion time but, shared by certainly most of my peers. Niether have I ever have a security related BSOD...don't really ever get those BUT... I will always strongly recommend MSE to my clients and anyone else. I have spent a lot of time removing Norton & others; & a lot of time discouraging folks from Norton, McAfee & others. Spending money on security is silly when there is something as good as MSE (will be called Defender in Win8) for free. MSE is galaxies better than Norton and FREE. And, I'll tell you from experience, performance, as well as security, is improved when MSE is instead of Norton. Drew

I will always strongly recommend MSE to my clients and anyone else. Spending money on security is silly when there is something as good as MSE. And, I'll tell you from experience, performance, as well as security, is improved when MSE is instead of Norton. Drew

Quoted for truth. It's a one-stop shop for efficient security with low resource usage, fair detection and removal rates. I honestly wish Microsoft could pre-ship it on all PC's.

Thanks for moving 'opinion' to truth (where it really belongs).

Actually it is native to Windows 8 & ON by default, @ last, as it should be. Ergo, your wish has come true. More truth & can be quoted, lol.

Cheers,
Drew

You get as many different opinions as you get answers. E.g. I had problems with MSE and never had problems with Norton Internet Security. But that is just me.

The best protection is if you do frequent imaging. Then, regardless what happens, you can always bail yourself out in 20 minutes. There are people that have no AV program and rely 100% on their images. That is not what I recommend, but it is an option if you image daily (takes 5 minutes - in the background - on my system for the complete C partition).

Well, good for you, I guess. Yet, not only is performance better w/ MSE, I have had to fix countless client's machines due to Norton. And they were all better & healthy & stayed that way after FREE MSE replaced pay-for-it Norton. But, that's not just me. (teehee)

I can remember worms screwing up machines & client's saying, "Dunno how that happened, I have Noorton"... well, maybe, cus they would blow right by it. Needles to say, I threw Norton out for them :)

Drew

Drew, I guess everybody goes by their own experience. I used MSE for a few weeks and caught 2 keyloggers. The wife uses it too but never had a problem. But all she does is AOL on the web.

Wolfgang,

Very little is perfect all the time in the world but, I'm still glad MSE is 'standard equipment' in Windows 8.

Cheers,
Drew

Hi,
Talking about best security, i've been using Norton AntiVirus since 2002 and switched to their 360 5.0 last year. But version 6.0 came out recently and I downloaded it and it was a mess , blue screens, 'no connect codes', icons wouldn't open up for the 360, wouldn't go to the START UP mode (important if you want to fix your computer)...etc. I had to go in the register to delete stuff to make it work.......but it didn't work :-# if that makes since? Some functions did, but some didn't.
Finally my secret utility tools got me to a point I could reinstall my 360 5.0 back :redface:
I used MSE while doing this 2 day battle. Other Norton users have the same problem.
. Check this out what Microsoft Essentials does with the Windows 7 firewall...

Quote- "..We also looked at other aspects of the new Security Essentials offering. The latest version of the software monitors the Windows firewall, and when we installed it on our test system it applied settings that prevented our attacking PC from connecting or extracting any information..."

Link- Link Removed due to 404 Error

That's it :cool:

Last edited:

Mmmm. the list of things one can find lauding the accomplishments, virtues & quality MSE just goes on & on

Mmmm. the list of things one can find lauding the accomplishments, virtues & quality MSE just goes on & on

I finally got the Norton 360 6.0 working, it's running ok now. I manually installed it without any special super douper 'install' tool . After my subscription runs out i'll reinstall MSE :redface:

:)

W/ any luck may your subscription run out, soon ;)

Drew

Back
Top Bottom