Which Office fonts are absolutely necessary?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by kevphil, Jul 21, 2011.

1. kevphil

kevphil Senior Member

Which Office 2010 Home and Student Edition fonts are absolutely necessary? Or to put it another way, which fonts (that are typically installed in a normal Office installation) is it safe to delete? There are waaay too many of these dubiously styled fonts cluttering my Windows 7 Pro system; I want to pare things down and make room for higher quality fonts.

(I tried posting this question earlier, but I didn't word the query precisely enough; hopefully, this post is more clear.)

Thank You!

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

To the best of my knowledge none of them are "essential". Depends on the documents (if any) you need it to handle from other places but if you want a bare minimum you can simply opt for just one serif (eg times new roman) and one sans serif (eg arial). Think I'd burn a copy to CD of all the ones I wanted to remove before deleting tho.

3. kevphil

kevphil Senior Member

Thanks, Pat.

4. NaiyaShamiso

NaiyaShamiso New Member

I don't see the point in removing them, dose nothing for the system or office. The point is right, if you get a document that is using the fonts, there might be a problem. Other than that, you don't have to have them.

5. Elmer

Elmer Extraordinary Member

I always un-tick the "Extra fonts" option when installing. Basically because it clogs up my Photoshop window. I then un-load whatever it will let me and use my font manager to throw them back in as required. But in my experience I have never yet opened a document that isn't covered by the basic office fonts and the Win7 installed fonts (pdf's are a different matter!).

6. NaiyaShamiso

NaiyaShamiso New Member

I have never run into a document that gave me problems. Even with some throwed off fonts. But I never cared enough to take out any fonts. It wont make my system run any faster, so it is of no use to me.

7. kevphil

kevphil Senior Member

I have used FontExpert 2010 to "disable" fonts I didn't want, but they still show up in Adobe apps, clogging the font menus. If I could prevent this, I would leave all fonts installed.

Elmer: I didn't see the option you mention, and I sure looked for it when I was recently re-installing Home Office 2010 last time. :( I had had a major issue that required me to re-format my drive and re-install everything.

Thanks, all.

8. Elmer

Elmer Extraordinary Member

Although Microsoft will hide fonts that cannot be used by you (your language settings), unfortunately this option doesn't seem to have been shared / picked up by anybody else!

I wrote some scripts to remove Language fonts that I personally wouldn't ever need plus some other language stuff that's non-specific to my English Language PC. You can find more info at: http://windows7forums.com/tweaks-guides-howto/50435-remove-fonts-arent-really-there-others-downloadable-scripts.html

Shrunk my Photoshop fonts list by approx. 66%! I got fed up having to search for something as basic as Arial!!