Windows 7 Which one

MT Hopper

I am a total newbie to this sort of thing but here it goes. I play a LOT of "older" games such as Hidden and Dangerous, Ghost Recon and other FPS. Still haven't successfully found and used a flight sim for Vista so don't know what to expect with Win 7. I have a Gateway FX6801 and my question is which version will best utilize the memory (RAM) AND work with the "old" software - games?:confused:

MT Hopper:redface:

If you are referring to which version of Windows 7, as far as the edition, they pretty much work the same. If you are referring to 32 bit or 64 bit, they will both run 32 bit versions of the game, but the 64 bit can utilize more memory, if the game can.

The games to which you refer were probably written at a time when they could not take advantage of the additional memory or other things.

The one big gotcha with x64 versions is that drivers for certain devices can be harder or impossible to come by.

When considering the move to Windows 7, you might want to also check with the Windows 7 Compatibility Center that your games are compatible. The Windows 7 Compatibility Center is available here: Windows 7 Compatibility: Software Programs and Hardware Devices: Find Updates, Drivers, and Downloads

Windows 7 comes in 3 basic versions with 32 / 64 bit available for each -- Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate have the option of using XP Mode for certain applications that are not compatible with 7. To learn more about XP Mode, please go here: Download Windows XP Mode

Back