Windows 7 Which type of connection to configure?

gmartins9

Hello all.

Currently I am trying to fix the problem related in this topic : http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/47339-turning-off-nat-troubles.html

I think I have found out the problem and that can be the mis-configuration and I dont know which type is the best and the most appropriate.

Since my modem is a cable modem and cant be configured, I must configure the settings of my router. And when Im going thro the Setup Wizard in my router, I may need to change some things to hopefully fix the problem without messing with the connection and sharing itself.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the most...uh..., let's say the pages that might make a difference in changing.

SETUP WIZARD.pngSETUP WIZARD1.png

Also here's a scheme of my actual connection and it's device's and stuff.
If you see the picture you'll see what I mean.
CONNECTIONS.jpg

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate your help.

Well, you got a lot of good info over on that other thread from members on the forum and seemingly you still have the same issue.
So, I guess we need to determine if your issue can still be overcome by avoiding the router and plugging directly into the ARRIS device provided by you ISP, according to post #17 in the other
thread Because I stop getting the error when I unplug my router and connect my internet cable directly to the computer.
If that is the case, then the issue is probably not anything on the computer, or anything with your ISP, the issue would seem to be your router. So, get out the book, or download the documentation from the SMC website, hard reset the device to factory defaults and then before you do anything else (except of course configure the WAN side for internet if needed), see if you can play the game without issue. If not then you will probably need to consult the documentation for either persistent port forwarding or application triggered port forwarding, because it would seem that your router is doing a good job firewalling your NAT, and you are going to have to figure out how to stick a couple pinholes in the firewall. Maybe even a call or trouble ticket to the SMC site or forum.

So, get out the book, or download the documentation from the SMC website, hard reset the device to factory defaults and then before you do anything else (except of course configure the WAN side for internet if needed)

Well about this, isnt reseting to factory defaults like delete, uh..., my SSID thingy and password to access the internet, not the router page and such?

The router documentation is an excellent place to start and should provide an answer to your last question as to what exactly happens when you perform a factory reset, as well as explaining how to do it. Yes you wireless SSID will be reset to default, the router password will be also, even perhaps the ip address you use to access it, if you have changed it previously and yes if you have a PPPoE, type internet connection, then you will have to re-enter your username and password on the WAN side of the router.
In short any customization/personal changes you have done will all be lost. But what are your options, if you want to get past this problem and the router is standing in your way, then you will either have to familiarize yourself with how to configure the router properly (and I know that some SMC devices have a not too intuitive interface) or perhaps replace it with another router from a more mainstream vendor, like Linksys/Cisco, or NetGear, or DLink, maybe you'll find them easier to setup as well as customize. I know the resource pool of potential help will probably be larger.

Well actually I would buy a new router but:
-a good one is always expensive;
-dont know if it will work due to my ISP.

and I really wanna do it but I dont know if I really should because, as I sayd, im not the only one who uses internet. My dad configured the router and I really dont know what he changed and what he didnt.

Also I dont know if putting my computer thro the DMZ would help? I just got a support ticket answered and they say the suggestion they could give is to put my computer in the DMZ.
Though im not sure if it's safe and such..

Exposing your machine by using the router's DMZ utility is, in my opinion never a good idea. It not only puts your machine at risk, but if your machine is subsequently compromised then other machines on the network can be likewise, like your dad's.
Again, the router documentation is your friend, read what it says about DMZ settings, it will probably have some type of boiler plate language warning against it.

Well before I try to reset the router , is there any type of connection configuration I should try to use seen on the 2nd picture attachment ( where appears the multiple types of connection types and such . PS :my current configuration is the one shown in the picture - Dynamic IP Adress -).

No.
I suspect, that if that particular setting was improper, then you wouldn't be able to connect to the internet at all. The setting you have selected is for the WAN port on the router to receive Dynamic IP addressing information from your ISP through their provided Device, the Arris. Very typical for Comcast/Xfinity (who commonly supply Arris devices to their customers)

Just a thought to consider. Definitely no accusations are implied so please don't take this the wrong way at all.

If...and I'll say again...If

If the game was "found" online through torrents, it is quite possible that some hack was automatically installed with the game as part of the cracking/sharing group's "work". Or perhaps if a crack is being used to make the game run at all, this is being detected.

If any of this is true, purchase the game. Uninstall what you have now and then install from the bought DVD.

Not at all! The game is from alaplaya and is absolutely free. Also I have redownloaded and reinstalled the game multiple times for the original website.
I have been the whole summer holidays trying to fix this and I still havent figured out how and why.
But about this reset the router thing, Im not really sure, it can be the solution yes but, im not sure what will delete/replace when it comes to configuration and passwords and such.

Seems that lots of users have the same problem as you do with the game. They all say the same thing to fix it, which is a huge bother. But this is all they have come up with thus far, as far as I can tell:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

"The temporary solution I'm currently using is starting up s4, opening up the command prompt, typing in "netstat -ab", finding the current port HGWC.exe is using (It changes every time), and add it to the exception list of my router."

-----

I have my own thoughts to where this might not be necessary to do.

If UPnP is disabled on the router, enable it. If this is the case, and then you do enable, then you probably won't need the above each time you start the game.

Also type services.msc in the start menu then hit enter. Make sure UPnP service is set to automatic and started too.

Last edited:
Well indeed that might help. But my error is not that one :S .
My error is one called " Hacking Trial Detected", which has to do with xtrap or hgwc, I dont know which one, gets in conflict with something in your computer, hardware and/or software, and it sends you an in-game message saying " Hacking Trial Detected. You were disconnected".

Follow my above post as I think it will solve your issue.

The detected "hack" could simply be because their servers can not access your machine.

Well I tryed the temporary sollution you provided, it only made me get the error earlier somehow. Could somehow changing the cable that connects my computer to the router fix the problem? Or even using a wireless connection through a pen?

Did you check UPnP in Windows

AND

in the router to be enabled?

Also, completely uninstall any 3rd party firewall if not done already. Also, temporarily disable Windows Firewall to test all this.

Well it was enabled in the router but on services.msc was on manual instead of automatic.. Does that make a difference?

Well on my first attempt it lasted for two full 30 minutes games, so basically lasted 1 hour. But I still keep getting the error.

Back
Top Bottom