Who Thinks Game Devolopers rely on patches too much?

Do game devolopers rely on updates and patches way too much

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Krypto

Fantastic Member
Premium Supporter
Who thinks devolopers of todays game rely on patching and after release expansions way too much. Games are being rushed to met certain release dates and they are filled with bugs they are not taking the time to debug there games and do in-depth beta testing they think put it out we can patch it later. Who remembers the days when there was no patching on consoles when the game came out it was finished and was of good quality well most of the time atleast:) In those day they would had to have recalled the game and issued new ones so they made dam sure there games were near bug free. Now pc games are a different story they could always be updated but most of the time they were pretty good quailty also. But now a days they can patch them all in some fashion.

Last edited:
Why pay a development team when you can sucker Joe Public into doing it for nothing?

That's true of most manufacturing now. From games software to system software, cars to washing machines - manufacturers used to have quality control and test as part of their production process - now they just offer "no quibble" returns and exchange policies to the great wide world of consumers which is their testing bench.

In my view, good game producers, specifically Paradox Interactive and Bethesda will issue numerous patches well after the game is released. This is the sign of a good developer when the game is very good on release, and complex, yet has some problems. There are some game studios that release a game that went over budget or never quite got out of a certain area of development and you seem to get lucky if they issue patches. For instance, anyone who currently has the Elder Scrolls: Skyrim cannot wait for the next big patch!! However, I'm not so sure that is the case if you are playing a game with a lower metascore. If the nature of the patch is to try to cover up poor production and design, as well as numerous compatibility errors that are frequent and annoy everyone, this is bad news.

RPGs and simulator games may be the one area where everyone hopes for patches to improve the game. With more console oriented action games and first person shooters, this does not seem to be the case. Count me in as "Maybe".

I don't mind patches as long as they add more to the game... i.e.: additional levels, character models, maps, story... because I want to play a completed game right of the box. If a patch comes out, there needs to be a free addon. I can understand if the patch only affects the multiplayer aspect, and not the single player of the game.

The only place I can think of that requires patches are 'free/pay to play' MMOs. Why??? This genre is ever expanding, they need to keep their customer base subscribed. The only way to do so is to add new content as part of the patch process, in order to keep their fans/customers from leaving their MMO world, and play in their competitors MMO world. Lucky for me, I left Azeroth's orbit and landed on the Earth Space Dock of Star Trek Online, and back to Earth with City of Villains (because heroes needs a beat down from my robotic minions)... (yah, I know shameless plug).

Back