Windows 7 Why Can't Open New Office Document be Pinned to Start Menu in Windows 7

Kuya Dan

:confused:...I just installed Office 2007 on my Windows 7 (64 bit) HP laptop. It runs great, and everything works great...

However with Windows 7 there's seemingly no way to pin New Microsoft Office Document and Open New Microsoft Document to the Start Menu...

Why is this? And what was Microsoft's logic (think) in this regard?

And more importantly...how can I put those items on the Start Menu?

Thanks in advance...:island:Aloha!

Hey, no worries :)

> All Programs > Microsoft Office folder, expand > Microsoft Word, Rt Click, Select "Pin to Taskbar" OR "Pin to Start Menu"

Cheers,
Drew

That doesn't work Drew. There's no means to do that for those (2) items, specifcally New Microsoft Document, and Open New Microsoft Document - to pin them to the Start Menu

But I did what you suggested for Excel, Outlook, Power Point and Word - and that accomplsihes the same thing...

Go figures those haoles up in Redmomd brah...:p

Aloha From The Big Island of Hawaii...:island:

Well, thanks for the compliment :redface: (Think there was 1 there ;))

Yes, that's why I made the suggestion... knew it basically accomplished the same thing you were talking. Maybe others hadn't understood your query or actually what you were wanting to have.

Anyway, glad you're ok, now :)

Cheers,
Drew

From my KB, Microsoft took out those short cuts in 2007. The last one to have them was 2003 (the Windows version of Office) and 2004 (the Mac version of Office).

If you follow the path to "New" document, it will, as you know, open another windows with all the new templates, from which you are expected to choose. If you minimize this, it will, of course, drop down to the taskbar. Right click the minimised icon and you will find an option to pin it to the taskbar. Maybe what you are seeking?

Are you not showing the flyout menus for programs like Office. That is where the prior documents are kept you can open directly.

I think they are talking about the start menu shortcut for opening a new document. It is not associated with any one Office program.
When you click on it it will give you a window that you can choolse a template or a blank document from any Office application. I think that iw the shortcut they are talking about. If so, they took that out of Office.

Ah. Maybe that's why I was struggling to sort out what it was he was seeking. Thanx for the info. But, on the bright side, he seems ok w/ the 'solution' I offered. Sounded like it was close enough to surfice.

Drew

Last edited:
I must confess, that I didn't really understand his question. But if he is happy - solved!
I could only see that, if you click any of the office components, they open into a new doc. So, effectively, they are already "shortcuts" in the start menu? He could,, alternatively, have dragged them to another part of the start menu, if that was his wish. But, anyway. It's history!

Back
Top Bottom