Why did this happen? Home Groups

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by wildefire, Apr 2, 2010.

1. wildefire

wildefire New Member

Ive had my PC for 5 weeks. I have Windows 7. Yesterday, after instaling/applying new updates a prompt came up on the screen after I booted up. It was a prompt, asking me to select which network I wanted to connect a Home Group to. I selected Public of course, as I am the only PC in my home. Actually, I am the only computer in my home. I do not have a wirless. Also, my internet cable is connected directly into my modem. The cable box outside is locked, so I know no one is stealing my cable service. And Im not on a wireless.

So, why did Win 7 detect I am on some sort of network with other computers, and suggested I start a Home Group? This makes me thinking somone has hacked/intruded upon my connection.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

A public network is something like Starbucks or some public access point accessible to the public in general. Your network is private.

3. wildefire

wildefire New Member

Ok, I get that... about public...

My computer though prompted me to select either

Home

Work

or

Public...

Which should I select???

ANd why did it ask me to create a Home Group when Im the only comp. in the house?

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

It will always ask. You do not have to create one. If it says you are joined, click on it and leave the homegroup.

You should be showing a house for your current network. If not, click on the description link in Network and Sharing Center and change it to private.