Why do paragraphs run together in my posts on this forum?

I posted these details of the superparagraph problem on the MS Newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
because the w7f thread:
http://windows7forums.com/open-topic-forums/36669-why-do-paragraphs-run-together-my-posts-forum.html
was closed when I went to post to it.

I have Windows XP-Pro SP3 but I have also posted this on both the
Firefox and NoScript support forums because I do not know if my
problem relates to Windows XP-Pro SP3, Firefox 3.6, NoScript 1.9.9.47,
or none of the above. The problem does not occur with Windows 7,
Firefox 3.6, NoScript 1.9.9.47

The problem is in posting messages on a particular forum:
windows7forums.com. Separate paragraphs combine into one hugh
paragraph when I post a message with my desktop XP computer. When the
paragraphs combine into a superparagraph, the linefeed (enter key)
does not function to divide it. It happens to the posted message, but
I do not have to post the message to make it happen. When I [preview]
the message the superparagraph is displayed. Also the input-text in
the editbox gets replaced by the equivalent of the previewed
superparagraph.

To learn more, I performed an experiment where I posted a message
containing paragraphs with my Windows 7 laptop. The
paragraphs/linefeeds displayed normally when posted from the W7
laptop. It looked like this:

==== BEGINNING
This test is with my other computer -- the Windows 7 one.

NEW PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with a blank linefeed above
it.
NEW PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with no blank line added
above it.

Stan Hilliard
==== END

This message above looks the same when viewed on the forum with either
PC. When I post that same message from the XP desktop PC I get a
message that looks like this on the forum.

==== BEGINNING
This test is with my other computer -- the Windows 7 one. NEW
PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with a blank linefeed above it.
above it. Stan Hilliard
==== END

This message above also looks the same when viewed on the forum with
either PC.

Then with my XP desktop PC I used the forum's [edit] button to edit
the good looking message that I had posted from the W7 laptop. Here is
what I saw in the message-edit textbox:

==== BEGINNING
This test is with my other computer -- the Windows 7 one.<br />
<br />
NEW PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with a blank linefeed above
it.<br />
above it.<br />
<br />
Stan Hilliard<br />
==== END

I hope the above information is a clue to what is wrong. Here are some
other facts that I learned from my experimenting:

The superparagraph does not happen when I post with my laptop.
(Windows 7, NoScript 1.9.9.47 and Firefox 3.6 or IE8 browsers.)

The superparagraph does not happen when I post with the IE8 browser on
my desktop PC. (Windows XP.)

The superparagraph only happens when I post with Firefox 3.6/NoScript
1.9.9.47 on my desktop PC. And it only happens on one of the many
forums that I have used: windows7forums.com. The administrators of
windows7forums.com closed my discussion because they could not
reproduce my results from their end. They claimed it my description
\\\"is either is a ploy or is completely nonsensical.\\\"

Does anyone here understand what is going on that messes the
formatting? Information will be appreciated.

Stan Hilliard
I hope this information helps the forum to prevent other users from having this problem.
Stan Hilliard

This is a test of the message editor in enhanced mode using Firefox on XP in safe mode, which means that the NoScript add-on is disabled.

This is another paragraph created by pushing the return key twice.

The fact that the return key is honored suggests that the issue is not caused Firefox but by an add-on -- most likely NoScript. I will post this result on the NoScript forum.

Stan Hilliard

Stan,

I am sorry for having to close your post. However, from my view of there being no problems, with thousands of people simply using the enter key without issue, it started to seem like it was complete nonsense. I am going to merge this with the other one and re-open it, now that you've isolated the fact that its a problem with the NoScript software.

I wouldn't be too quick to just blame NoScript in general. Maybe you need to allow a certain script to run. Did you allow the script from googleapis.com?

I use NoScript and I have no problems with posting here at all. I just allow windows7forums.com and googleapis.com and everything is fine. I never allow google-analytics.com to run on any site I visit.

Also I used to run it on XP x64 Edition with no problems.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too quick to just blame NoScript in general. Maybe you need to allow a certain script to run. Did you allow the script from googleapis.com?

I use NoScript and I have no problems with posting here at all. I just allow windows7forums.com and googleapis.com and everything is fine. I never allow google-analytics.com to run on any site I visit.

Also I used to run it on XP x64 Edition with no problems.

Just for a sanity check, we use Google Analytics to figure out what we are doing wrong, not to collect any personal info. It doesn't give us much insight into individual personal info at all. It is more of a macro "how is the site doing" type of thing. It is very helpful for us in planning out how and when we are going to change the site, and for what reasons. Id like to reassure everyone that we are absolutely protective of your privacy on this website and Google Analytics is simply the most advanced "website hit tracker" in existance right now. It allows us to see where everyone is coming and going, and hopefully why.

For example, we just added a funnel to tell us how many people register a day. While we could normally get this info from the site itself, it tells us which pages people leave on.. so now we have an idea of where they are stopping. And if we can find out why they are stopping there, maybe we can improve registrations. We would not really be aware that most of our visitors are guests, to the tune of millions, if it were not for this software. FYI it is not evil and it is a grea tool for us. We are not tracking you... those actions are traced in log files noone reads anyway on every webserver on earth.

Your privacy is very important to us.

Thanks Mike. I'm glad you posted that info on Google Analytics. I always wondered what they were doing. That eases my mind a little. It's just that you run into their script all over the net.

So Google Analytics is a service rather than an advertising tool then right?

:) Hello Stueycaster, cute rig there:

stueycaster.gif

Dell Inspiron 1764- DualCore Intel Core i5- Chipset: Intel HM55- 3892 MB (DDR3-1066 SDRAM)- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD HDMI- Realtek ALC269 HD Audio Controller- IDE Controller Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller- 3B29 WDC WD5000BEVT-75ZAT0 ATA 465 GB IDE- Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7585H ATA - Realtek PCIe FE Family Network Controller- Dell 1520 Wireless-N Mini-Card

This is a test

My NoSctipt is set to forbid googleaps.com My NoSctipt is set to forbid googleaps.com My NoSctipt is set to forbid googleaps.com My NoSctipt is set to forbid googleaps.com

My NoSctipt is set to forbid googleaps.com My NoSctipt is set to forbid googleaps.com My NoSctipt is set to forbid googleaps.com My NoSctipt is set to forbid googleaps.com

My NoScript is set to allow googleaps.com

That fixes the problem for me.

Thanks,
Stan Hilliard

You're welcome. I could never post anything with googleapis disallowed. Glad we got it straightened out. :razz:

:) Hello Stueycaster, cute rig there:

stueycaster.gif

Dell Inspiron 1764- DualCore Intel Core i5- Chipset: Intel HM55- 3892 MB (DDR3-1066 SDRAM)- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD HDMI- Realtek ALC269 HD Audio Controller- IDE Controller Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller- 3B29 WDC WD5000BEVT-75ZAT0 ATA 465 GB IDE- Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7585H ATA - Realtek PCIe FE Family Network Controller- Dell 1520 Wireless-N Mini-Card
Thanks Cyberbuddy. It's good to see you again. :razz:

StanH said:

We also use the Yahoo User Interface Library (YUI), which is hosted on both Google and Yahoo servers. We can also host it from this server, but to reduce load on the server it is hosted off Google. So you are blocking a library that is used for Javascript and some other code on the site to power advanced functions. This is not a black hat virus laden site where you need to use NoScript for everything, but to each his own I suppose. We have already had one incident where you complained you couldn't post anything because of NoScript, so please do not expect us to help you bypass all of the code and advertising that helps pay for hosting fees. Your IP address is still on our web server, pretty much forever.

Sticky text

A quick funny . Make sure your computer and screen are on a level surface :)
I don't think that was the cause. When I took the laptop with me into the shower the it must have gotten damp. That made the text sticky.:p

We also use the Yahoo User Interface Library (YUI), which is hosted on both Google and Yahoo servers. We can also host it from this server, but to reduce load on the server it is hosted off Google. So you are blocking a library that is used for Javascript and some other code on the site to power advanced functions.

It is not my intention to block any code that powers advanced functions.
This is not a black hat virus laden site where you need to use NoScript for everything, but to each his own I suppose. We have already had one incident where you complained
I did not complain. I asked for help in solving a technical problem that I did not understand. Thankfully, stueycaster told me how he fixes it. I verified that it worked for me and posted the proof in this thread.
you couldn't post anything because of NoScript, so please do not expect us to help you bypass all of the code and advertising that helps pay for hosting fees.
It is not my intention to bypass code and advertising that helps pay for your site's hosting fees. But it would help people like me to meet your site's needs by showing the preferred/recommended script sources to allow for this site. Lacking that, I finally ended up setting NoScript to "enable all" for the site.

Stan Hilliard

Last edited:
A quick funny . Make sure your computer and screen are on a level surface :)

I don't think that was the cause. When I took the laptop with me into the shower the it must have gotten damp. That made the text sticky.:p
Oh great, now you're telling me I have to keep my Laptop on a level surface every time I take it in the shower. :rolleyes: Oh wait! So that's why all my text was doing the back stroke. :eek:

Back