Why do paragraphs run together in my posts on this forum?

It could be a browser compatibility issue which may have JUST been fixed, literally hours ago. You may have better luck now. Please let us know.

Good thought, which begs the question - What browser do you use?

I still have the problem. The upgrade did not make a difference to it. NEW PARAGRAPH: I have ended up discussing this problem in two threads on windows7forums. The topic came up in discussing another problem I have. I have explained a lot more there: http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...on-doesnt-work-w7-compared-xp.html#post136941 NEW PARAGRAPH: The "missing linefeed" problem that we are discussing here occurs on both my computers: XP and W7. It occurs with both of my browsers: Firefox and IE8. NEW PARAGRAPH: I am wondering if all others who view my posts see all one paragraph. There should be 4 blank lines above. I used two linefeeds to start new paragraphs. At least one person in the other thread posted that he had to put his own linefeeds in my text when he quoted it.

This test is with my other computer -- the Windows 7 one.

NEW PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with a blank linefeed above it.
NEW PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with no blank line added above it.

Stan Hilliard

Last edited:
This test post is with my other computer -- the Windows XP one. NEW PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with a blank linefeed above it. NEW PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with no blank line added above it. Stan Hilliard

This test is posted with my XP computer. The text below is created by [edit] of the Windows 7 post two posts above that has linefeeds in it. I copied that post to the windows clipboard and pasted it into a new reply.

This test is with my other computer -- the Windows 7 one.

NEW PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with a blank linefeed above it.
NEW PARAGRAPH: This starts a new paragraph with no blank line added above it.

Stan Hilliard

I can see what the problem is. The forum has replace the linefeeds with [br /] where "["="<". I recognize that this is a "soft" linefeed in HTML. Could it be that the forum recognizes the operating system and doesn't want non-W7 posters to have linefeeds? (manual [br /])
(manual [br /])
Stan Hilliard

Last edited:
This is a test message under Windows XP Service Pack 3 with Internet Explorer 6.

I am using a double line break (enter key) to create a new paragraph).

This is again a test message under Windows 7 Ultimate with Internet Explorer 8.

I am again using a double enter-key to create a secondary paragraph/spacing. I cannot reproduce your bug.

With my XP SP3 when I edit a message that was posted by W7 the text honors the linefeeds but in addition it inserts the html br.

Most of my previous posts on XP were with firefox. This one is with IE8.

This second paragraph was proceeded by two enters.

Stan Hilliard

Last edited:
This is Firefox on W7.

If this works, then the problem is with the Firefox on the XP computer.

Stan Hilliard

This is strange since I retested that Firefox-XP combination on a phpBB forum that I have been using and it works fine. Actually, I have been using many forums recently. This site must require some additional setting from that particular Firefox.

It is version 3.5.7. I just learned that 3.5.8 is available. I will download/install it tomorrow, as I can't take too much success in one day.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. This post was also discussed in an administrative meeting today. There is no such problem that we are aware of. It has been tested on IE6 under Windows XP and IE8 under Windows 7.

The problem simply does not exist unless you are using some sort of script blocker, or something or other. Some kind of custom software may be interfering. I do not see how you are having problems. We are using the most advanced forum software possible on this site, and the WYSIWYG editor has had its moments, but creating a line break involves using the enter key after you complete a sentence. This is how every word processor has worked since the mouse was invented (give or take).

I am closing this thread because it is either is a ploy or completely nonsensical.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said above:
Why do my paragraphs run together on this forum like this one big blob?
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...-7-user-accounts-user-folder-names-paths.html

I fixed that problem. This forum is not compatible with Firefox browser when the message editor browser is set to the option Enhanced Interface.

I fixed that problem based on my experimentation and on advice I got in a Microsoft XP newsgroup. If you have this problem, go to [settings][General Settings] and change the message editor interface option from "enhanced interface" to "Standard Editor"

Prior to discovering this fix I discussed the problem in another thread:
http://windows7forums.com/open-topic-forums/36669-why-do-paragraphs-run-together-my-posts-forum.html

but the admin closed that thread to prevent further postings to it because: "I am closing this thread because it is either is a ploy or completely nonsensical." :) That prevented me from posting all my experimental results. So I posted them on the Firefox forum here:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

To the webmaster: It is possible that I initially registered on this site using my windows 7 laptop, causing the forum to set editor to enhanced interface. (On Windows 7 Firefox works OK with this forum.) But then I called in from the XP computer with Firefox. This forum is not compatible with that combination. I will post my experimental results below so you can better understand the problem and take proper precautions.

Stan Hilliard

Back