Why does W7 create a 100 mb "system reserved" partition when installing

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by rbdaves, Apr 9, 2012.

1. rbdaves

rbdaves New Member

I've had W7 on two computers that I built: My old one and my new one

On the old comuter, W7 installed itself, boot loader and all, on a single partition. However, on my new build, W7 created a 100 mb "system reserved" partition leaving 111 G for data on one of my SSD's which I decided to use for other purposes ( W7 is installed on a second SSD which is partitioned as mentioned). Then, Using "disk management", I deleted the 100 mb partition on the SSD that I wish to use for other purposes, then tried to expand the 111 GB. I got some kind of useless message that said "object does not support this operation". So, the 100 mb "System Reserved" partition is not shown in "disk management" and is not available, nor can I restore it to use.

What is the solution?

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

The system reserved partition it installed possibly for use with something like Bitlocker. Microsoft may have some grand design, but I do not know what it is.

If you pre-format the drive, it will not add the small partition, but if it is added, the boot files are normally place inside and it is annotated as "System".

Moving the leading (front) end of a partition can be very dangerous. It may not be worth going through that, and Windows will not move it for you.

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

4. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

5. whs

whs Extraordinary Member

1 person likes this.