widescreen resolution issue (Windows 7 RC)

I've just installed my copy of Windows 7 RC and I can't seem to change the resolution to a widescreen (16:10) one. I'm using an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro PCI-E which the standard driver from Beta worked in allowing me to change to a widescreen resolution. Now it doesn't want to give me the option for widescreen resolutions. Any ideas? I've already tried a few of the ATI Catalyst downloads but those won't give me the choices for widescreen resolutions.

sounds like your gfx card drivers are ok then, so is your monitor appearing in device manager and the display section of the graphics driver?

reghakr

Essential Member
Good idea kingskin,

You could also go too your monitors manufacturer and see if a new driver is available.

It will most likely be an .inf file, that you would update through Device manager.

I did this with my Acer 22" widescreen and now have no problems.

reghakr

Essential Member
Double posting.....deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did try getting the drivers from the manufacturer's website but when it said that it couldn't detect my display, I kinda gave up. But I did go back and try again and read the text file that popped up with some helpful instructions that I should have followed (I was a bit too angry to read). Right now I've reverted back to Beta but I will definitely try again tomorrow.

reghakr

Essential Member
Good luck with that!,

Follow instructions???????? Not me either, untill i'm totally lost:rolleyes:

Well the monitor drivers didn't solve my problem so I went ahead and swapped video cards with my oldest brother (ATI Radeon X1650 512MB PCI-E for an NVIDIA Geforce 8400GS 512MB PCI-E). That seemed to do the trick (I guess NVIDIA cards have more support than ATI, but that won't stop me from spending only $100 on an ATI 4xxx card). On a positive note, my gaming graphics score went up to 5.1 but now my Aero score has dropped to 2.7 leaving me with a score of EPIC FAIL.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.