Windows 7 WiFi adapter not working at full speed

Jure89

Hi guys, I have a problem with my wireless connection on my desktop PC. I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed and a 10/10Mcit connection. The problem is that the connection only works at about 20% of its capabilities (about 2Mbit).
I had a linksys internal WiFi card installed (with that connection worked at about 6Mbit) and I thought that was the problem since it didn't have Windows 7 support and I switched it with a Level 1 WiFi USB adapter. Now the connection only works at 2Mbit. I tried the usb at a different computer with the same signal strength and it works perfectly at 10Mbit, so im guessing its software related or something. Anyway, it's very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jure

I tried the usb at a different computer with the same signal strength and it works perfectly at 10Mbit, so im guessing its software related or something.
Typically when we see these types of issues involving Wireless Adapters and Windows 7 it is frequently caused by adapter drivers.
Is the other computer that the adapter seems to perform well in, also a Windows 7 computer and is it using the same driver?
I'm not familar with Level 1 cards or the chipset that they use, but it is always a good idea to obtain the most current driver for the adapter from the Manufacturer's website.
Also consider a firmware update for the Wireless Router. See if the Router Manufacturer has a recent firmware update that may include additional features or hot fixes to address Windows 7 specifically.
Finally and probably just as often, third party software like SPI Firewalls (Comodo or ZoneAlarm) as well as Internet Security Suites that may include firewall type applets (Norton/Symantec, McAfee, etc) may require additional tweaks and settings to support your current network environment completely. I often recommend that such products be temporarily uninstalled (to include the product specific proprietary removal tool, google it) in order to make sure that they are not somehow causing network issues.
And finally third party network management utilities either those included as part of the adapter driver package or other such programs like Network Magic. Again uninstalling any such software and allowing the Windows 7, WLAN AutoConfig service, to manage the adapter and driver will often provide the best results.
Keep us posted.
Randy

Back
Top Bottom