Windows 7 WIFI-adapter stuck on disable, LAN-adapter does not receive any packets WIN7 64 bit

jlvdm

Hi,

About a year ago I installed a WIN7-pro 64 bit version on my PC.
(4gig ram, quadcore processor, asus motherboard, geforce 8800GT)
This worked fine for about a year. Then all of a suddon last week I dont have a network connection as i booted my pc.
I went and reset my router, thinking would fix it. (it usually does)
After a few resets I figured it was software related, as my laptop would get a connection to the wireless network.
So I tried to disable/enable the adapter. -> except... i couldnt turn it on anymore.
I sighed -> uninstalled driver, reinstall driver. Still didnt work.
Tried a new wireless adapter (i use USB adapter, put in one from another brand, installed it) Also didnt work.

Then I hooked up an UTP cable to my PC. Same result, the LAN-adapter is also not receiving any packets. I dont receive an IP, i dont get a standard gateway, nothing.

SO i remembered back when i was in college, i once had a similar problem on my laptop running windows XP.
The network administrator at my school then gave me a winxpsockfix.exe. Which just fixed the hell out of that instantly.

So to summarize... The problem is not hardware related, as i am typing this message on the same hardware setup, just running the vista hard drive i swapped for WIN7 a year ago. I cant turn off/enable any network adapters, and the one that is on (the lan-one) doesnt receive an ip/packets. Does anyone have a clue of what this could be?

I humbly ask for your support as i am at the end of my knowledge.
(i am not an expert, the answer could be very obvious)

Thanks in advance for your time.

John

jlvdm;
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Since the issue seems to be impacting both your wireless as well as your wired connection, my first guess would be the router, but since it seems to work fine with the Vista hard drive my second guess would be either the Winsock catalog or the TCP stack.
Try rebuilding/resetting both and reboot your machine and see if that helps. (Windows 7 hard drive back in place)
Launch an elevated command prompt
StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt (right click and choose run as administrator
type
netsh int ip reset C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\ipreset.txt
Hit enter
and then type
netsh Winsock reset
reboot and see if that produces any better results
Also if you can provide any detailed information regarding the Manufactuer Name, Model Name, Model Number, and Revision Number of the network adapters you are using we might want to check for the latest drivers for them from the manufacturer's website.
Regards
Randy

jlvdm;
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Since the issue seems to be impacting both your wireless as well as your wired connection, my first guess would be the router, but since it seems to work fine with the Vista hard drive my second guess would be either the Winsock catalog or the TCP stack.
Try rebuilding/resetting both and reboot your machine and see if that helps. (Windows 7 hard drive back in place)
Launch an elevated command prompt
StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt (right click and choose run as administrator
type
netsh int ip reset C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\ipreset.txt
Hit enter
and then type
netsh Winsock reset
reboot and see if that produces any better results
Also if you can provide any detailed information regarding the Manufactuer Name, Model Name, Model Number, and Revision Number of the network adapters you are using we might want to check for the latest drivers for them from the manufacturer's website.
Regards
Randy

Thank you very much for this fast reply!
I will try this out as soon as i hook up my WIN7 drive. Do i need to do this in safe mode?
I'm pretty sure that the drivers are up to date, still there would be no reason for the drivers to suddenly stop working after a while is there? Also, the statistic probability of both drivers failing at the exact same day would be close to nothing right?
(the wireless adapter is this one
HTML:
http://www.mobile-harddisk.nl/linksys-wireless-g-adapter-geschikt-voor-tvix-5100410040006500-p-699.html
)
When you say an 'elevated' command prompt. Does that mean that i have to run it as admin?
Im not familiar with the term.

I'll inform you of the results of the winsockcatalog/tcp stack fix thingy you suggested.
I have no clue how to rebuild/reset both, but i assume thats what the cmd-codes you provided will do.

Again, thanks for your swift reply, and i will inform you of the results when i am able to try it out.

I'm pretty sure that the drivers are up to date, still there would be no reason for the drivers to suddenly stop working after a while is there?
That's a difficult question to actually answer and since that link didn't provide a Hardware Version / Revision number I can't say for sure but it's possible that the Windows Update Utility might have installed a driver update on the same day for both adapters that is less than optimal.
If you look here Link Removed - Invalid URL there's a Windows 7 driver 11/09/2009 which is post RTM and might be satisfactory but that is for Hardware Version 3.0, while Version 1.0's last driver was dated 12/28/2005 and probably less than ideal for Windows 7, however may still work fine. And if you look here Microsoft Update Catalog Microsoft's driver (my place of last resort) are all dated 11/08/2007 and may very well work with Windows 7 and are identified as such but are way pre-RTM. So there are no hard and fast rules regarding these types of legacy hardware devices and can often involve some trial and error. I personally have a Linksys WUSB54GSC (very similar) which is using a driver from linksys by way of the Microsoft Update Catalog dated 11/30/2006 and it works fine with my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit machine

[langtitle=nl]Re: WIFI-adapter stuck on disable, LAN-adapter does not receive any packets WIN7 64 bit[/langtitle]

[lang=nl][QUOTE = Trouble; 235284] Dat is een moeilijke vraag om daadwerkelijk te beantwoorden en sinds die verwijzen niet voorzag een hardware-versie / Herziening nummer Ik kan niet met zekerheid zeggen, maar het is mogelijk dat de Windows Update Utility kan een driver update hebben op de installed op dezelfde dag voor beide adapters die lager is dan optimaal. Als je kijkt hier [URL = "http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WUSB54GC"] Linksys by Cisco - WUSB54GC Support [/ URL] er is een Windows 7-driver 11/09/2009 die is na de RTM en kan bevredigend, maar dat is voor hardware versie 3.0, terwijl versie 1.0 's laatste driver dateert van 12/28/2005 en waarschijnlijk minder dan ideaal is voor Windows 7, maar kan nog prima werken. En als je kijkt hier [URL = "http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=wusb54gc"] Microsoft Update-catalogus [/ URL] Microsoft-stuurprogramma (mijn plaats of last resort) zijn alle 11/08/2007 gedateerd en kan heel goed werken met Windows 7 en als zodanig geïdentificeerd zijn, maar zijn manier pre-RTM. Er zijn dus geen harde en snelle regels met betrekking tot dit soort legacy hardware-apparaten en kunnen vaak sprake van wat trial and error. Persoonlijk heb ik een Linksys WUSB54GSC (zeer vergelijkbaar), die een driver gebruikt van Linksys door middel van de Microsoft Update-catalogus van 11/30/2006 en het werkt prima met mijn Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit machine [/ QUOTE]

Randy,
Quick update. The resetting/rebuilding did not work. I will provide more accurate info about the hardware tomorrow. Its 2 am here :p
Thanks for your help so far! Really appreciate it![/lang]

Back