Windows 7 wifi device

nelson

new poster, looked in previous posts, couldn't find ans. i have widows 7 laptop and
want to install a usb wifi adapter. do i have to disable internal wifi device which came
with computer and if so what are the steps.

Nelson;
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I assume you are adding one, because the integrated one does not work any longer?
If so;
click the start orb
type
device manager
hit enter
expand network adapters
select then right click the integrated wireless adapter and choose disable
Boom, done.
You might also want to spend some time in the BIOS and see if there is anything available that looks like enabled/disabled relative to that device.
Regards
Randy

thanks for the quick reply. followed steps up to disable just to see if i could follow steps. my question now is it necessary to disable the intergrated wifi because it will interfere with the usb wifi adapter i want to install.

thanks for the quick reply. followed steps up to disable just to see if i could follow steps. my question now is it necessary to disable the intergrated wifi because it will interfere with the usb wifi adapter i want to install.
Proximity interference could likely be a concern. You'll want to make sure that you use a different channel for both and ideally it would be nice if they used different frequencies say 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz if it's possible to force one to use the other.
Additionally you might consider using a USB extender cable to give the two some physical distance.
Give it a try and let us know how you make out.
Regard
Randy

Back