Windows 8 WiFi Extenders

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
I just got a Netgear 3500rp. Where this device will help you the most is the following. Say your router is inside on the first floor and you want t o go outside and use your computer. Though Wifi speed is affected towards the less side, a strong steady signal that you would not have without the extender makes downloads easier for sure. Inside it really only makes a really big difference, if your router is say more than 35 feet or so from where you are working. These devices vary in price from say $39.99 to $99.00.

So you'll be the only computer geek with a sun tan then Lorenkjr? :)

Sounds like a good purchase.

Thanks. They are a strange device to work with initially. But, they do what I needed done. Just thought I would give a little heads up, because it clearly is not a device for everyone. Be good now!!

Wireless extenders cut your bandwidth in half which slows down connection speed. One half is used to communicate with the extender that extends the signal and the other half to other clients directly connected to the main router. My solution is a wireless powerline adapter that can go with you in any room, inside or outside the house as long as you have a power outlet. It does not cut your bandwidth in half. It's a totally separate wireless router via electrical outlets.

Google up TL-WPA281KIT.

I sure do know that it cuts the speed but, outside of my house I get a normal every day (except bad weather) 5 bar connection. I have 50/25 fios, an, average around 35 mbs. It beats having unstable connections outside where never know how long it will take you.

Now your solutions sounds most interesting. If you happen to have any more info on it, and maybe a photo, I would sure like to see it. And I must admit that I have never heard of your device before. Thanks and have a great day.

Last edited:
Powerline adapters extend your WIRED connection anywhere in your house that has an electrical outlet. It comes in pairs. One is plugged in to the wall beside your main router connected together by ethernet cable. And the other adapter can be plugged anywhere you want a wired stable internet connection like gaming console. You can also connect a wireless router to the other end to eliminate dead spots or to have strong signal anywhere around your home. I have 4 of them in different rooms and one has a built-in wireless router.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WindowsForum mobile app

Last edited:
Very nice. I have 50/25 fios. My only problem occurs outside and on the porch. The download/upload transfer rates were so erratic, it finally drove me to seek a solution. Since I am really the only one who uses the Internet for heavy duty means, this solution works and works well for now anyway. Though I will admit I am more than interested in what you have. May I ask what processors you have? I keep swearing I will go to Amd one day. Though as of yet I have not. Be well!

Back
Top Bottom