Windows 7 Will OEM install?

KM Richards

Honorable Member
If someone has a computer with extensive bloatware and simply wants to install an OEM version if Win 7, will it work without needing the OPK since the computer already had Windows on it?

This would be using a freshly formatted hard drive.

I'm not going to say it will work every time but it's worked for me every time I fresh installed Windows. Install the same edition of windows and use the OEM product key found on the sticker to activate. However the activation key is sometimes not the same as the product key. Use an application (such as speccy) that will find the activation key buried within Windows and see if it matches the product key on the label. If the key does not match write it down because you may need it to activate Windows.

There's always a feel of wilderness when you install anything but a CLEAN Windows on a CLEAN disk. If you have a legitimate version, you can always call Microsoft and get it running - that's 100% sure.

There's always a feel of wilderness when you install anything but a CLEAN Windows on a CLEAN disk. If you have a legitimate version, you can always call Microsoft and get it running - that's 100% sure.

I'm actually using the original activation key from the manufacturer to activate a clean install... so I doubt the manufacturer would provide any support since I did not use their recovery installation media... along with their bloatware.

I'm actually using the original activation key from the manufacturer to activate a clean install... so I doubt the manufacturer would provide any support since I did not use their recovery installation media... along with their bloatware.
Activation issues are dealt with differently than other support issues. If you are entitled to activation they will see to it that you are activated. Beyond that its a matter of question as to whether you are entitled to further help.

Well, you can do it slow and painful, or you can make it fast and easy: call Microsoft. They know everything about these questions. To share my story: I had a new computer built, bought a Windows 7 Professional directly from Microsoft and activated it, everything went more or less fine until Windows started nagging about activation... alright, I activated it... two days later it nagged about activation... alright, I activated it... then it it started nagging every day... I called the firm that built my computer - - - they told me to call Microsoft. I did, and two minutes later the problem was gone, and hasn't reappeared.

Marvel: why is the threshold to contact Microsoft so high? I've met this syndrome several times, on other Forums too. I mean, if you buy a car, and two weeks later it won't start, you'll probably contact the seller.

No more. I sincerely hope you get it running. Best wishes, friend. :)

Last edited:
Back