Windows 7 Will this work OK?

tcomo

I have Windows 7 HP on Drive C, and a new drive in D. I have Windows 7 Pro upgrade disc. What I would like to end up with is Windows 7 Pro on C, and my current C drive in the system as D, with all data intact, so I can take my time moving data over.
Here's how I think I need to do that and I would appreciate any comments if I'm incorrect. I have SATA drives on a dual core.
I will boot from C to my current Windows 7 HP installation, insert the Windows 7 Pro upgrade CD, and install Windows 7 Pro on the new D drive. I will then shut down and remove the C drive, and boot from the Windows 7 Upgrade disc to do a repair on D, so that I can get a boot sector on it, and so that the system will see it as the primary C drive since it will be the only drive in the system (unsure about this part.)
I will then shut down, and put the original C drive back in the system and when I come back up on Windows 7, the system should now see the former C drive as D. And I'll be good to go.
Or won't I?
Thanks for listening.

go to my last blog and download the full version of win pro from the microsoft link.... use an iso program to delete ei.cfg and burn the disk

UNPLUG the drive with your data so you ONLY have the drive available you want to put windows on .. with NO data.

set your bios to boot from the dvd, make sure your drive has ONLY one partition and run the custom install

select Pro from the menu of versions to install... install and use your upgrade key with no problem

afer all is done and settled ... power down and reconnect your data drive.

Check your bios DRIVES and set the win 7 drive first.... this is not the boot priority... it's the setting for hard drives. If you don't have this setting it should be in the boot priority options.

Thank you very much tblount for taking time to respond.
A friend at work had told me I could take the Upgrade disc that Microsoft mailed to me, put it in the drive with a new hard drive in place, boot from it, and install from it. I asked him how it would authenticate a qualifying OS to upgrade from, and he said it would ask for my previous OS disc, as was the case for example from moving to XP from Win 98. But I read elsewhere that Windows 7 does not ask for qualifying media, that it must be installed from within a booted OS. That's why I asked the question.
Appreciate your response - PS: saw that UltraISO can be downloaded and tried for free; otherwise it costs $30. I assume that the free trial version will allow me to delete ei.cfg.

I think so....

You can probably do it several ways .... BUT if your drive with your DATA is disconnected you can't accidentally delete your stuff... I'm just suggesting a method that will avoid tears.

You can make the upgrade files bootable but it's a lot more complicated and frustrating than just letting the full version download from Microsoft while you have lunch.

Back