Win 10 BSOD, RMA CPU?

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)' started by Francis V, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Francis V

Francis V New Member

Yeah, doesn't seem like something for pleasure reading...

As far as to what's going on right now, the CPU is now cozy in a stock Dell Optiplex 7040 and BSODs on startup shortly before it would reach the Windows log on screen (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION). This machine seems to be running Win 7, which I don't think should matter though. The BIOS detected the new CPU and reset its settings (original CPU is a 6700, now a 6700K, so should work just fine).

I can't get into Windows, so it's not as easy to get any logs.

Considering this is 100% separate hardware now and a different OS altogether and still blue screening I'm going to stick with my CPU died theory and I'll try for an RMA with Intel.

I can't even run the Intel tool because I can't get into any OS with this CPU now, so that's not something I'll be able to get you. :|

Any other thoughts before I go the RMA route?

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

The fact it does more or less the same thing in two different machines I'd go for the RMA toot sweet. Good luck on a speedy process.

3. Francis V

Francis V New Member

Will do, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the help and moral support. :p

4. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Let us know how you get on Francis and please post back if we can advise further.

5. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Fantastic Member
    Premium Supporter

I'm in agreement with kemical and neem on this; sounds to me as if the CPU is defective.:waah: I'd RMA it as advised. If you're as OCD as some of us it might be worth trying to boot from a Ubuntu LiveCD disk or USB stick and see if Linux will boot. That completely takes Windows software out of the picture, and you can even disconnect your bootdrive (C: drive) and boot the Linux from the disk or usb distro in RAM. [THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL, BUT REALLY NARROWS THINGS DOWN IF THE HDD IS OUT OF THE PICTURE!]. If Ubuntu fails to load also, or gives weird load errors, then clearly the CPU chip is bad, as I believe you took necessary steps to make sure the mobo is ok. You can do this in a few hours or maybe half a day. It's pretty easy and the website and instructions for Ubuntu are here: Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a terrific diagnostic tool,:thumbs_up: and it's gotten me out of some real jams at Customer sites who want to just throw their computer away because some other tech or friend told them the Mobo or CPU chip is gone--if Ubuntu boots, not so!! :noway: Usually just a bad hard drive, RAM Stick, or corrupted Windows. Replace the bad parts, reload windows, and 99.9% of the time it's fixed!:up: I carry a Ubuntu USB stick on my keychain wherever I go--even on Vacation! It's so handy to be able to determine if it's a Mobo/CPU problem or a faulty drive/RAM stick or Windows issue in just a couple of minutes.

Best,:bighug:
    <<<BBJ>>>