Win 7 bsod

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)' started by Wishmaker, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Wishmaker

Wishmaker New Member

This is my first post and I would like to say hi to everyone. I love Windows 7 and I have been using it since RC1. It is one of the best operating systems Microsoft has ever made. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago, I started noticing something peculiar. My PC would not shut down. Sometimes it would stay on for 20 minutes with the Shutting down message. I would have to hard reset or use the power button to shut windows down. Upon normal boot, I would have no meessage that the computer failed to shut down. If, however, the computer would shut down on its own, on the next boot, I will get a BlueScreen :mad:.

I have the following system :

If up until now I thought that the BSOD was showing up only on shutdown/boot several W7 installs proved me otherwise. I managed to get check the crash dump with WinDG and after running !analyse -v and !poll [the address] I still do not have sufficient information to find the culprit. I do believe something broke and that this is a hardware related issue because yesterday I installed W7 from scratch 5 times and 2/5 I got the blue screen and following reboot. Initially I thought it was my Netgear Atheros driver because it kept disabling my Realtek Gigabit LAN for some reason.

[​IMG]

I stayed up all night, can barely see the keyboard now, and I ran :

1. Memtest
    2. Linx, Prime95
    3. Furmark, 3DMark Vantage.

Everything checks out. Nothing out of the ordinary :(.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am at work atm, so I cannot attach the dump file. I will do so when I get home.

Regards,

Wishmaker.

#1 Wishmaker, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. tblount

tblount New Member

I would have to suspect hardware problems... have you reset your router?

The reinstall should have worked to fix any software problems. It worked before with the drivers that came with the iso.

Have you taken your system outside and blown it out with a leaf blower? It sounds like the cpu is overheating.... maybe the power supply is overheating or going out. If you are sure it's clean you can sometimes find out if the powersupply is the problem by unplugging the dvd writer, any additional hard drives or devices that pull power but are not necessary to boot and see if the problem goes away. Definitely put the hard drive where it gets plenty air around it. I recommend everyone put a hard drive fan on. they are under $10.. heat is the enemy of hard drives.

3. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi wishmaker,
    welcome to the forum and thanks for the informative post.

The fault could be down to a number of things either hardware or software related and it's just a case of tracking it down...
    How is the bios? Latest version?

Also, when you ran memtest, did you test one stick at a time? If not, then you might have missed an error. If all the sticks are tested together then this can hide errors. Always test only one stick at a time. (20mins per stick is usually enough).

Have you run chkdsk? Run chkdsk and tick the box for repairing sectors.

Can you boot into safe mode?

Lastly, this link has a few more tips.. otherwise post back :)

How to fix “Page fault in non paged areaâ€ÂÂ￾ error

4. Wishmaker

Wishmaker New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome and for your replies. I think I found the culprit. As I already mentioned, I spent all night trying to fix it. I ran MEMTEST but on all memory sticks and not one. Today, after I got home from work, I turned the machine on and look what I found :

1. This picture shows my PC, with 3 G-SKILL RAM Sticks populating the tri-channel slots.

[​IMG]

2. The following picture shows how much memory my BIOS actually detects :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As one can see, I have 2 GB missing. So, I started the troubleshooting process. I said its the RAM stick. It broke last night in MEMTEST.

1. Used all sticks in that slot, no go.
    2. Used all sticks in the 2nd slot, everything works fine.
    3. Used all sticks in the 3rd slot, everything works fine.
    4. Used all sticks in the 4th slot, everything works fine.

When I use slots 1, 3, 4 I have 4GB RAM, when I use slots 2,3,4 I have 6GB or RAM. Obviously something happened with this memory channel. Because UD3R does not have memory re-mapping in its BIOS, as an option, but it fully supports it, without it I could not use the computer 2 months with 6GB in tri-channel mode, the explanation is that the mobo broke.

What windows 7 reports when I use 1,3,4.
    [​IMG]

5. kemical

Hi Wishmaker,
    sorry to hear your news.. I was looking at one of your pictures and it was showing your bios of 'FB' (the latest bios update on the gigabyte site is ' F8D'). Have you ever flashed the bios yourself?

#5 kemical, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  6. Wishmaker

Wishmaker New Member

Hey mate,

The BIOS version for Revision 1.0 is F8D. I have UD3R Revision 1.6. Flashing a BIOS is not a problem. I have the necessary tools, moreover, I flash from Caldera DOS to avoid any mishaps. The Gigabyte archive contains a DOS-Based utility. You can even use the Windows based tool and flashing is like eating candy. The days where Flashing was a pain in the kiniggin ae long gone.

7. kemical

Very true...I especially like these 'dual bios boards' as you have a definite insurance policy..

So your bios is the latest,,oh well just thought it was worth a mention... :)

8. tblount

tblount New Member

I am AMAZED that you found something this techincal and compliated but I still don't see how it could suddenly - after running normal for months cause your system to automatically reboot or take a long time to shut down. It appeared to have 4 good working gb memory.

I've dealt with the problem of having memory sticks in the right slots and in the right order... many times when building systems or upgrading memory... but once the system booted and ran, it would never run solid for a while then just start having problems related to memory stick positions. Something in the bios must have gotten reset/modified/changed to make the problem show up.

9. Wishmaker

Wishmaker New Member

I rarely build systems because I am not a computer freak. I built this one because my old Prescott, 512 RAM and 256 9700 Pro, was begging for retirement. I set myself a budget because you know, the lady will shout if you spend tons of money on PCs but she has no probs spending tons of money on bags and shoes. Anywho, as soon as you notice that something is wrong you try to find out what and where. The irony now, I am using slots 2,3,4 fully accessible 6GB just reinstalled windows, nobody will RMA my mobo during the weekend, plus i just bought Crysis Maximum edition, I'll ignore my 12 % loss in bandwidth due to the lack of tri-channel. Will RMA the thing Monday so in a week I will probably have a replacement.

Enough off topic, back to our apples. So far, I've rebooted 20 times, shut down 20 times and the computer works. No BSOD, nothing. What I find puzzling that the dmp had scarce info and you need to tear the guts out of your pc to identify the problem. Oh well, still cursing here so don't mind me :D.

Cheers lads for the support and help. I will definitely get back to you with the latest developments. Who knows, if you hear something smashing on the sidewalk, tis me throwing out my computer. My GCs will prolly go next ;).

10. kemical

lol, thanks wishmaker and please let us know how you get on.. :)

11. Wishmaker

Wishmaker New Member

I am a persistent young fellow. I would like to present to you, 'la piece de resistance'.

1. Let's confirm one more time that I am using the tri-channel slots and not the dual channel ones. So there you have it, 1, 3, 4

[​IMG]

So yeah, everything is fine, I got the right slots. Lets look now at something. This was earlier in the day. Since then, I've taken out the battery 20 times, I've reset the jumper, I flashed the thing back and forth, am using the latest BETA BIOS for my REV 1.6 called FD4.

This was earlier in the day :

[​IMG]

This is NOW

[​IMG]

...and crikey, still off by 2 GB

[​IMG]

So there you have it folks, my motherboard recognises the RAM stick, but it can't add it to the other 4GB in tri-channel mode. Talk about unlucky.

12. kemical

Man...thats a bummer..

13. Wishmaker

Wishmaker New Member

I have been reading up, doing some homework what mobo should I get to replace this. In what I saw, many x58 mobos are plagued because early revisions flooded the market. Could it be the I7 IMC? Could the IMC be broken and not recognise tri-channel only dual-channel? Was W7 detecting this and I think it is the motherboard?

14. Tepid

Tepid New Member

Ok,, I scanned through the thread.....

When you ran the memory diags,,, did you only let it go one pass?

Optimal results will only come after running Memory Diags for 4 to 6 hours plus.
    I would also run Windows Memory Diags and hit "t" after the test starts to run extended tests for the 4 to 6 hours plus.
    I have found that MemTest (while good) does not always root out bad memory or bad slots. While WMD usually finds them pretty quick or with int hat time frame.

I would suspect that it is a motherboard problem though, from what I have read.

234 config works,,, but 134 does not... if I read correctly.... I would suspect that either a faulty ram slot or Faulty BIOS?
    I am of course only guessing here.

EDIT --- Faulty BIOS (either BIOS or the Firmware) causing incorrect readings of RAM in different locations.

#14 Tepid, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  15. kemical

Did you miss the above Tepid?

16. Tepid

Tepid New Member

The usable RAM could come from many factors....

Even on 64-bit,, it is my understanding that the system still reserves some memory for certain things,, ie. Video Card

But this may not be the case here.

I will look at my Server 2008R2 install and see what it reports.... my Video card does memory sharing with the system.

But I guess this is moot as the OP already suspects a Bad Mobo.

#16 Tepid, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  17. Wishmaker

Wishmaker New Member

Hey lads,

I know it has been quite some time and I am sorry about that. I was very busy, also waited 3 weeks for my mobo replacement and I've been enjoying 6GB ever since. Unfortunately, my issues are not gone. It seems that for some reason windows 7 hates me . My computer refuses to shutdown sometimes and I have to shut it down on my own. The eternal issue, I turn on my pc and W7 does not know that it did not shutdown properly. Moreover, I also got a bluescreen a few days ago. I analysed the dump and I saw it is a driver issue. I did not really pay attention to it, I was gonna format anyways. Today, I wanted to identify the culprit and I decided to run verifier. I did and BSOD, BSOD, BSOD :(.

I had to use last known config and to reset the verifier to boot normally. So, now I am running memtest on every 2GB stick, individually. I emptied all my channels except the first one and testing. Could something have happened to my memory when my 1st tri-channel slot went dead?

18. kemical

It might well have done.... but your doing the right thing so let's hope you find the bad un and you can just RMA the bad stick (if there is one)..

19. Wishmaker

Wishmaker New Member

RAM's good according to Memtest+4.0

That relates to my netgear draft n stick :eek::eek:!!! Funny thing is that I have another system with the same stick and there are no BSODs :(.

20. kemical

Do you mean you've tried the stick in a different system and it was ok? If so, what os was it running?