Win 7 erased drivers and cannot reinstall them

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by azadam24, Jun 20, 2010.

1. azadam24

azadam24 New Member

I recently purchased a Gateway NV7921u and the first thing I did was install Win 7 Ultimate on it as this is what I have on my other PC's. For some reason, now the built-in webcam does not work, the multi-gesture touchpad only utilizes one finger, only half of the touch-sensitive keys work above the keyboard and, most importantly, I can ONLY get on the net WIRELESSLY. If I plug in an Ethernet cable and hardwire it I lose my connection entirely and it is driving me bonkers. Gateway says it is a driver issue so I click the link for say, the webcam driver or the WAN driver and download them (I also use a program called driver detective that does this for me), the driver(s) don't even show up anywhere! Help!!!!!:mad:

2. Veegertx

Veegertx Honorable Member

Didn't use Vlite or one of those other removers did you? well vlite don't work with 7 100% anyways.
    Sounds like bad install, maybe start over and integrate all the drivers into install dvd with dism

3. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 New Member

Did you do an "upgrade" install or a "custom" - clean install?

Upgrade installs over existing Vista OS can cause many problems.

Did you install all the correct Windows 7 drivers for your computer and download them from the Gateway website?

Windows 7 does install a LOT of drivers automatically, but not all. So check on that first.

4. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 New Member

It may be a bad install, but it is not necessary to integrate drivers to the install DVD.

Just download all the correct Windows 7 drivers for your Gateway and store them on a thumb drive or external hard drive.

If you did an "upgrade" install, those can cause a lot of problems, it would be best to do a clean or "custom" install.

After reinstalling Windows 7 be sure to install the correct drivers, usually the chipset drivers are first, followed by the video driver, LAN NIC drivers, etc.

Your computer manual may have a guide on which drivers to install first, also the Gateway website should have a guide on how to do a Windows 7 install.

Here's a link that may help you at the Gateway website: Gateway NV79 Series > Windows 7 (64-bit) > Motherboard Downloads

5. JessicaD

JessicaD New Member

When you say that you download the necessary drivers from Gateway's website but you can't find them -- are you referring to after installation or after download?

Is it possibly extracting the necessary files to a cab folder?

6. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 New Member

If I'm not mistaken, Driver Detective stores the downloaded drivers in it's directory folder in: C drive/Programs(x86)/Driver Detective.

7. Michel75

Michel75 New Member

Windows 7 can be tricky with drivers sometimes.
    I would advise you check your manufacturers website for the latest driver updates.
    They may also be delivered through Windows Update.

#7 Michel75, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010