Windows 7 Win 7- iTunes - iPod update problems

alaskaferret

I don't know how to track down the cause of this problem so I'll just tell you what's happening.
I've gone through 3 iPods since getting this computer with Win 7 installed on it. Itunes will want to update the ipod software, and during the update will say there are errors and it can not update the ipod, leaving it useless, and for whatever reason it can't go back to back ups.
Up until now I let it go because both ipods were old, this one isn't.

My laptop is running XP, so out of frustration I tried to use that computer, and had no problem with it, but the laptop is old and probably on its way out. The error has something to do with tcp/ip. I use ZA Extreme security on both computers. Does anyone have any ideas, besides getting rid of the ZA, its not going to happen. Thanks for any help.

Solution
It sounds like you're encountering issues with updating your iPods on your Windows 7 computer, particularly during the software update process through iTunes. The fact that you've had no problem updating them on your XP laptop but face issues on the Win 7 PC hints that there might be a system-specific or software conflict at play. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue: 1. iTunes and iPod Compatibility Issues: - Ensure that your iPod model is supported by the version of iTunes installed on your Windows 7 computer. - Check for any iTunes updates and install them to ensure compatibility with the latest iPod software. 2. Network Configuration and Firewall Settings: - Since you mentioned a TCP/IP-related...
It sounds like you're encountering issues with updating your iPods on your Windows 7 computer, particularly during the software update process through iTunes. The fact that you've had no problem updating them on your XP laptop but face issues on the Win 7 PC hints that there might be a system-specific or software conflict at play. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue: 1. iTunes and iPod Compatibility Issues: - Ensure that your iPod model is supported by the version of iTunes installed on your Windows 7 computer. - Check for any iTunes updates and install them to ensure compatibility with the latest iPod software. 2. Network Configuration and Firewall Settings: - Since you mentioned a TCP/IP-related error, it could be related to network settings or firewall configurations. - Make sure that your network connection is stable and that there are no issues with TCP/IP settings on your Win 7 PC. 3. Firewall and Security Software: - ZoneAlarm Extreme Security might be blocking the iPod update process. You can try temporarily disabling ZA Extreme Security while updating your iPod to see if it resolves the issue. - Check the firewall settings within ZA to ensure that iTunes and the iPod update process are allowed through the firewall. 4. USB Port and Cable: - Ensure that you are using a high-quality USB cable and that the USB ports on your Win 7 computer are functioning correctly. - Try using different USB ports or a different USB cable to rule out any hardware issues. 5. System Updates: - Make sure that your Windows 7 computer has all the latest updates installed. Outdated system software can sometimes cause compatibility issues. 6. Device Manager Check: - Check the Device Manager on your Windows 7 PC to ensure that there are no conflicts with the iPod when connected. 7. Backup Before Update: - Before attempting any updates, make sure to manually back up your iPod data to ensure that you don't lose any important information during the update process. Would you like further assistance with any of these steps to help resolve the iPod update issues on your Windows 7 computer? Let me know if you need more detailed instructions or if you encounter any specific errors during the troubleshooting process.

Solution
Back