win 7 shutdown?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by billmex, Oct 19, 2009.

1. billmex

billmex New Member

I have a problem with win 7 completely sguting down all by itself. it seems like it does only once per day? Usually avout an hour after first start up and when i recover it says that there was a problem with Zinio reader, since it only does one time per day i have had a hard time figuring out the problem. I updated all my zinio files but it does not make any difference, I also thghut maybe it was a power supply problem, hoevere after shutting down once it does not happen again until the next day when i turn on th machine? anyone have similar problems or an idea as to what is wrong? Thanks for any feedback>

2. JackHayward

JackHayward New Member

Try backing up and re-installing Windows 7.

Hope this helps, Jack

3. nico

nico New Member

I bought a new HP with W7. I am stunned by the many warnings and errors that are in the event logs. I didn't look there before since it's a new machine and today it restarted on its own. I suspected HP's support cr.p but the event logs said that I initiated the shutdown. Bull. I didn't do anything of the sort, I just received an alert that said it will restart in 1 minute.

I also found that I could not access some of my folders after I removed my specific name from the security list. Left only Administrators and SYSTEM with full control. I am the administrator. So, I checked my account type and found it was changed to Standard User. Setting it back to Administrator is just ignored.

What is going on here?

4. Agent Data

Agent Data Banned

if you have the 7 disc do a repair-install..it will keep your files. Be aware it will require reactivation

the jinx new 7 permissions are oddly twisted. However, take ownership of a folder first then make sure you are in full-control - this should cure the problem. In 7 the admin no longer is top level - the system is, so be aware even as admin you have to watch your permissions and set them right on folder level!

Bit of steep learning ahead but it's manageable :)

#4 Agent Data, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  5. nico

nico New Member

Win 7 shutdown

Thanks for the response.

I noticed that the advice that shows up here and there on this forum is to reinstall Windows 7. Is that right or is it just a boiler plate answer hoping it will fix most ailments? It just sounds so extreme.

I don't have the original disc, it is an OEM installed installation bought from Fry's Electronics.

My trust in Microsoft's products eroded over time and Vista struck a huge blow to what was left of it. I had, however, high hopes for W7. This is not good and I assume I am not singing alone in this choir.

6. Agent Data

Agent Data Banned

The W7 repair install (if disk avail.) indeed is very powerful and does not touch your files - much better than XP (useless) and Vista .

Have a look into your performance log - W7 list there bad behaving/slow drivers. it usually gives a clue what is going on. This log is burried in the Action Center/view performance information/advanced tools/view performance details in event log. Update drivers as required then clear the log and watch what's next :)

Last not least have all W7 drivers up to date same for all hardware drivers/bios update