Windows 7 Win 7, SSD and Partition

Rus

Win 7 64gb SSD with 54.72 Primary Partition and 4.9 Recovery Partition.

28gb used. 26gb free.

In order to take advantage of Garbage Collection and Trim do I need to create a separate partition for Garbage Collection or will the 26gb free space be used for trim and garbage collection?

54.72+4.9=59.6gb. What happened to the extra 4.4gb?

A SSD is no different than a mechanical HDD when it comes to available space. Although it's advertized as 64GB, the manufacturers have their own way of determining size. 1GB = 1,000MB. Not 1024MB, what 1GB really is.

This is the most simple way of describing this issue. Hope that I've explained this to you.

Cat

That does explain the missing gb but what about trim and garbage collection? Do I need to create a partition or is the available space ok?

I would guess that it's OK. My Crucial M4 128GB SSD doesn't have a partition for garbage collection, although there's a folder in my Data partition that I didn't create, named "Recycler" followed by a string of letters & numbers. Haven't opened it, but have scanned it, it's clean.

I'm not on that computer at the moment, when I go back onto it, I'll check it out & report back. If you wish, click onto my specs & dig through & see if you can find it.

Cat

Last edited:
:redface: Anyone ever heard I'm not an expert? ... Thanks, catilley---

Back