Windows 7 Win 7 upgrade interupted by program" Dell modem diagnostic tool" Can't find it to delete.

geno368

Extraordinary Member
I have a retail upgrade to my Vista home premium to Window 7 home premium and it goes all the way to 62% finishing and then strops the installation and reloads me back to my OS. I have tries several times. I even made a copy in case the dvd was bad. still same results. The compatability wizard says I am ok, but suggests that I uninstall the "Dell modem diagnostic tool" and then re-install it after the update. I cannot find it and even went into device mgr and disabled the modem as I am on dsl and don't use. Anybody got a clue to help? Thanks very much.

It isn't listed in the control panel under Programs and Features?

There isn't an uninstall tool in the Start Menu in some Dell Folder?

Maybe uninstall the modem entirely. They can be problematic even though it worked in Vista. If you just disable it, you might need to check msconfig.exe to see if a driver is starting up for it. Is there an option to disable it in the bios?

This link from Microsoft talks about installs failing at 62%. If you find the Setupact.log located at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log you might zip it and attach. But first check the log to make sure there are not duplicate entries for the different failed attempts. We only need the last attempt. You can copy and paste to a Notepad file then zip. Otherwise, check the link to see if it helps.

Edit: I suppose I should state that it is always better to do a clean install of a new OS.

Last edited:
There is quite a bit of information in the log and it will take me some time to try to find something that might help. So I will look some more tomorrow, but for now, it looks like the progress stops at 62%, as you state, and the last thing it was doing was related to Epson scan.

If you have a scanner installed, you might try removing it to see if it helps, but I am just guessing.

Are you running an Anti-virus like AVG? Sometimes they can mess up an install.

I'll check back tomorrow....

I really appreciate you helping me. I deleted all the Epson stuff since I don't have the scanner any more. I also disabled temporarily the AVG...I am trying again, but it is stopping at 62% again at a different place ( I think a little earlier) We are going to church and be back in a couple of hours and will check in...

You said you ran the compatibility advisor, so I assume you mean the Upgrade Advisor located here?

To check the logs yourself, and you should not need to attach any more, use notepad to search for FatalError or Progress appears to be stuck. Start at the bottom and search up. When you find it, look above to see what was going on just before the message was given.

I will have to say again, there are many warnings in the log. It does not stop an upgrade, but does indicate you may have things that do not work correctly after the upgrade. You may end up having to do a clean install anyway, so if you need help on that, look for tutorials or post back.

This might be one of those problems associated with the upgrade install method. Personally I would stay way away from that. I always do the Custom (Clean) install. This actually formats the HD and includes the old OS in a folder called windows.old on the root directory. You can open this folder to grab data you might need (pics, music, contactss, etc). Once you have grabbed everything this folder can be deleted using the MS approved method.

The custom install leaves the problems of the old OS behind and leaves a much more pristine OS.

Thanks for the reply, Ted. My concern is that we don't still find a few of the program discs on our system. This re-format will remove all that...correct?

Reformating the HD will remove everything on it. The Custom (Clean) install overwrites everything on the HD which should eliminate all the unwanted apps. You should not have to run a separate Format as this is part of the Custom install, that is unless you suspect there is malware or virus activity causing your woes. As I stated when you overwrite the HD, windows.old is created automatically. If there is virus activity I suppose this could be included in windows.old and be unleashed again if you open the folder.

If you do suspect some nefarious activity, a complete Format before you start should wipe out the nasties. You can then use the Link Removed due to 404 Errorto re-install Win 7 on a formated HD using the upgrade installation media.

Back
Top Bottom