Windows 7 Win7 64-bit freezes on startup, nvidia-related(i think).

matsge

Hey guys!

I've been looking all over the internet for some help on this problem of mine without any real luck, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

My problem is that sometimes when I start up my computer (from both hibernation and shutdown), windows freezes(sort of) on startup. It will start up after quite some time and everything seem to be running in slow-motion. I can move the pointer and perform actions in 1-2 sec intervals with about 5-6 seconds between them.

When starting up in safe-mode it will freeze totally upon loading the file CLASSPNP.SYS.

At first I was concerned about some hardware malfunction, but since everything works fine on Ubuntu (dual-boot) I assume this is a software error.

The only fix I've been able to apply is using system restore, but this may have to be done several times for the problem to disappear and takes forever since the computer is running in "slow-motion".

Also sometimes when i leave the computer off for a day or two (or just use Ubuntu instead) it will boot up win7 just fine.

Since the problem occurs quite randomly and without any warnings it's been quite hard to debug/gather information on the system while crashing, but here is what I have been able to figure out so far:

* While problem occurs, both cpu cores are working at 95-99%. Processes(random ones) take turns on using 99%.
* Screen will glitch heavily and message will appear in tray-bubble: "windows nvidia kernel mode driver stopped responding".

Things i have tried:

* Installing newest Nvidia graphics driver.
* Installing older Nvidia graphics drivers.
* Full format and fresh install of windows7.

In the reliability monitor i was able to gather this information:

* Problem: Windows failed to start because of missing system files
Description: A recent driver installation or upgrade might have prevented Windows from starting.

* Problem: Video hardware error
Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1044

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA8004DED4E0
BCP2: FFFFF88010020354
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
Bucket ID: X64_0x117_Tdr:3_TdrVTR:1_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
Server information: 114dfcd0-702c-47e0-9a3d-e8672e86fb40

The last one occurs about 20 or so times with the same info except for the BCP1.

Finally I'll add som system info...

Computer: Asus K61IC
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core T4300 2.10GHz
RAM: 4G
GRAPHICS: Nvidia GeForce GT220M

I hope someone can help me out, or at least point me in the right direction. :)

Last edited:
Well, your description makes it hard to come to some conclusion as to what might be wrong.

Since you have tried the latest video driver, perhaps it is something else. Maybe try turning off Aero.

You might try removing the Ethernet connection to see if it helps.

I am not familiar with that video card, but are there any minimum power supply requirements and do you make those?

If you have a 4.9 index, what is your limiting factor?

Last edited:
Back