Win7 not seeing Sata Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by thomsonr2000, Nov 22, 2008.

1. thomsonr2000

thomsonr2000 New Member

I have both a Sata (Seagate 500mB) and ATA Samsung installed in my computer. Vista installed on the Sata without problem and sees my ATA which I use mostly for backups.

When I ran the install for Win 7 I installed on the ATA, install did not see the Sata. Now up and running I still cannot see the Sata drive. In device manager under storage controllers is a raid controller with an yellow exclaimation. Raid is disabled in the bios. Under the "Disk Drives" section of device manager only the ATA is there. I see the same driver in Vista and its working fine. Vista also shows my Seagate SATA installed as a SCSI device.

I did try to find a driver unsucessfully for the raid controller M1573 (MSI RD480 Neo2 MB) but as I have it disabled in the bios don't really know why I'd need it?

Any ideas? All my media files are on the Sata.

#1 thomsonr2000, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. Matt

Matt Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it's because windows will show a SATA controller that it doesn't have drivers for as RAID. Have you tried the drivers here? MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD. There for XP, so they might not work with Windows 7 though.

Also, does Windows update offer a driver for the SATA/RAID controller?

3. Kyle

Kyle New Member

Some SATA Drives still need to have drivers available, as opposed to being included in the OS.

4. thomsonr2000

thomsonr2000 New Member

Didn't mention that but I did try it to no avail. On thought that comes to mind is if I could copy/use the Vista driver which is installed and working correct.

I will try windows update later this evening.

5. thomsonr2000

thomsonr2000 New Member

Kyle,
    Checked the Seagate site, they say there is no driver for download as it comes with Vista.

6. kloe

kloe New Member

Did you resolve your issue?
    I have the exact same problem with the exact same motherboard,
    I know this thread is a bit old, but i can't seem to resolve the problem.

I would be much obliged for some help please.