Windows 7 Win7 not working any more

Santasan

I have installed Win7 x64 several days ago and it worked very fine, but jesterday i did not "shutdown" my pc, but tried to send it to "sleep" instead. Damn! It is totally broken-down! When i first tried to start after this, i choose the "start normal" option", all i got was a black screen, so i rebooted and choose the "repair from dvd" (or similair) option, it doesnt do much more: first it says "Windows is loading files" and when the progressbar is full it switches to "Windows is starting" with the Logo, but still black/white, and thats all, once i waited over an hour but when i came back: the same picture.
(i dont know exactly if the "sleep" was the reason, but it seems to be the most likely answer to me)

Is there a way to fix this???
If not, i would have no problems with reinstall (no important data, and all programms were installed to another partition anyway) but even that seems impossible to me, as, if i insert the boot-dvd and restart, the repair tool starts automatically and i have no option to choose a complete reinstallation.

I have installed Win7 x64 several days ago and it worked very fine, but jesterday i did not "shutdown" my pc, but tried to send it to "sleep" instead. Damn! It is totally broken-down! When i first tried to start after this, i choose the "start normal" option", all i got was a black screen, so i rebooted and choose the "repair from dvd" (or similair) option, it doesnt do much more: first it says "Windows is loading files" and when the progressbar is full it switches to "Windows is starting" with the Logo, but still black/white, and thats all, once i waited over an hour but when i came back: the same picture.
(i dont know exactly if the "sleep" was the reason, but it seems to be the most likely answer to me)

Is there a way to fix this???
If not, i would have no problems with reinstall (no important data, and all programms were installed to another partition anyway) but even that seems impossible to me, as, if i insert the boot-dvd and restart, the repair tool starts automatically and i have no option to choose a complete reinstallation.
then you're not booting from dvd properly, you should always get the option of re-install windows 7. but a repair SHOULD do the trick. did you try booting to safe mode (press F8 before windows is trying to boot and you'll get a menu where you can boot into safe mode).

also, make sure no unnecessary devices are connected (printers, sound, ipods etc.). only connect the essential devices (monitor, mouse, keyboard).

i just tried the safe mode as you suggested, with just monitor, usb-mouse over PS/2 adapter and keybord attached.
a list of files that are loaded runs down the screen until it comes to ...\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys , the pc hangs there for approx. 30 secs and then i get a plain blackscreen

so it seems the disk.sys driver (a really basic driver) is damaged.
strange thing is that repairing 7 doesn't seem to work.
my advice: get a working disk.sys. I can upload mine but I got the german version of windows and don't know if it's compatible.
after that, you have to get and boot a working operating system. my advice would be to download and burn knoppix if you are able to do that (don't know if you got a backup pc or what). knoppix is a linux system that doesn't need to be installed, you can boot the entire OS from disk. with knoppix you should be able to copy the disk.sys into your drivers directory.

BUT if you boot from the windows dvd you SHOULD be able to choose "rescue" which allows you to get into a dos-prompt and copy the disk.sys with this command.
copy SOURCE TARGET
so for example
copy "C:/downloaded/disk.sys" "C:/Windows/system32/drivers/disk.sys"
if that doesn't work for you maybe try a vista or xp cd/dvd. at the very first screen you should be able to press R for rescue and get into the prompt.

of course, if you have another windows installed on the same machine, you can use that windows to copy the disk.sys. just make sure you copy it into the correct windows folder (so the windows7-windows-folder :D)

it seems that i have some other major issues. i tried to boot from dvd several times (felt like at least 1000times:p)and this are the results:
1. most frequent: just shows "Windows is loading files...", then nothing or blackscreen
2. also quite frequent: shows "Windows is loading files...", then shows "Starting Windows", then nothing or blackscreen
3. sometimes: it shows something like "Windows couldnt start properly, repair it by inserting your setup disc (ALTHOUGH IT IS INSERTED:mad: ) and restart your pc" Info: ...\system32\boot\bootmgr.exe The file is corrupt or missing
4. rare: i manage to get the choice between safe mode, debug mode e.t.c., i choose safe mode, it does the same as in 1 or 2
5. once: i did the same as in 4, the coloured logo (the "4-dots-rotating,-colliding-and-then-morphing-to-MS-flag-with-bright-light-in-the-background"-thing;))appeared and i got a BSOD with the errormessage: "Default page in nonpaged area"

i would like a complete new installation most, but i dont get no choice to do so

oh, and btw: there is nothing on the pc exept the win7 (on its own partition) and some programms on an other partition. i will try to copy the disk.sys but the last results suggest that there are more things damaged than that.

EDIT:
if anybody knows a possibility to wipe the c drive clear, or otherwise redo the complete install, with a liveOS-cd or something else, please let me know!

EDIT:
ok, i got it working again :) , i managed to get to the menu with "safe mode" "debug mode" e.t.c., there is an option (the bottom one, i think) to disable the driver signature enforcement. with this option enabled the repair console started. BUT the repair thing itself just searched and then said "attempting to repair" for several minutes, then told me that it had not been able to fix the issues. anyway i decided to give it a try, and voilá!! everything worked as if nothing had ever been different!
damn, im so happy right now i cant even be seriously angry on the beta for wasting my complete day...

Last edited:
Back