Windows 7 Win7 Pre-Installed on laptop, HDD problem, can't recover/boot/chkdsk/format. Help!

govtdog

New laptop with Win7 pre-installed. No Win7 CD.
Laptop HDD came with separate recovery partition.
Burnt recovery CD and backed up HDD to seperate USB HDD.

Then laptop was dropped.
Laptop won't boot past blank win7 desktop(with curser). Tried running HP recovery program from recovery CD but program says no recovery partition found and once again, will not boot past blank Win7 desktop. Can't get to chkdsk to run HDD fix.

With the Win7 stuff that I have, I can't get to any point where I can even determine if this laptop HDD is fixable?

Is there a Win7 iso file that I can download to boot into Win7 so I can then run chkdsk and then access my backup original installation on my USB external HDD?

If not, can I use one of my old original Win XP CDs to boot the laptop, run chkdsk or maybe even reformat the drive NTFS, and then install my backup Win7 setup from the external USB HDD over the now XP installed HDD?

You can't boot into the Recovery CD you made? If you can, you can run chkdsk or do a Startup Repair.

But you can download a Windows 7 SP1 .iso file online...try the following link, but you may have to check the net for a better site.

Download Windows 7 Integrated With SP1 ISO – Official Direct Download Links

Nope, Recovery CD appeared to work but then I got a recovery partition not found error. Additional tries gets me to the same blank desktop with cursor.

I can boot with Ubuntu and can see files when I mount the HDD, so I am hoping the HDD is not shot? Tried clicking on chkdsk from within Ubuntu but it won'd run and gives me back an error message.

Will try DLding the link to Win7.iso and report what happens....

Thanks for the help!

Tried link but Win7 Iso doesn't download...

Looking for other sites but none which are free so far found. :(

I am downloading it from the link given right now. Maybe it depends on your locations.

I am downloading it from the link given right now. Maybe it depends on your locations.
Well, tried it again and I guess it is downloading... didn't think it was because it said download time as more than 1 day. eek!
Now download time so far is only 5 hours.

Thats not what I said.... or did so I guess I need to get off this now

Downlded worked but didn't work or help as all I kept seeing at both the repair and install windows was a simple circling arrow for a very very very long time.

How long should I continue to let the non responsive circling arrow continue????

Last edited:
You should be able to get into the Install fairly quickly. Maybe you are and the circling arrow comes after you select repair on the second page. If that is the case, it appears the system is bad enough Windows may not be able to filx it.

Before you hit repair, can you hit Shift+F10 and get a command window? If so, you can run chkdsk from there.

If you dropped the PC, it is very likely that you got a headcrash on the HDD. Try to run a chkdsk /r from a Command Prompt in the repair section of any installation/repair disc (Win7, Vista or XP). If that does not work, your HDD is shot and you can only try to get as much of your data off as possible using e.g. Ubuntu live CD.

this , \"again\", sounds like very bad sectors. Had this issue two months ago. Are you able to PULL any of the data off from Ubuntu. That will tell you if sectors are bad around the data and not just the OS
Haven't really tried since we have no data we need to recover....
Just tried the Win7 iso disc and it offered me repair computer and install win 7 both of which I tried and both of which failed.

Guess I just need to wait for the new drive from HP....

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom