Windows 7 Window 7 Key not working properly

Rod92

So i'm a pretty hardcore gamer , and i've had this laptop for a year now. I play alot of MMOs so i press the W alot , well lately ive been experiencing issues with it whereas it'll work intermittently . Somtimes it does nothing even after a few presses and other when it DOES work it duplicates Ws . So i popped off the W key , and found some lent inside the key and i also reinstalled the keyboard driver to no avail. I pressed the exposed key button without the W on it and its still responding ONLY partially . Problem still persists , any solutions? Any help is appreciated.

Window 7 x 64 Home Premium Toshiba Satellite C655-S5540

Sounds like the switch has gone bad on the keyboard for the key. It does happen from time to time. By any chance is it still under warranty. If so I would place a call to Toshiba and ask them what your options are. It could be a simple fix or the whole keyboard pad might have to be replaced.

So i'm a pretty hardcore gamer , and i've had this laptop for a year now. I play alot of MMOs so i press the W alot , well lately ive been experiencing issues with it whereas it'll work intermittently . Somtimes it does nothing even after a few presses and other when it DOES work it duplicates Ws . So i popped off the W key , and found some lent inside the key and i also reinstalled the keyboard driver to no avail. I pressed the exposed key button without the W on it and its still responding ONLY partially . Problem still persists , any solutions? Any help is appreciated.

Window 7 x 64 Home Premium Toshiba Satellite C655-S5540

Under the "W" key on the keyboard there's a little rubber cup. When you push down on the key that cup gets pushed down as well and basically turns inside out. The inside of the cup has a coating on it that, when it touches the carbon ink pattern and makes a contact between the 2 halves under the key on the circuit board, it registers the key you pressed.

Example.jpg

It isn't the debris around the key that's the problem. What you need to do is clean the inside of the cup and the contacts on the circuit board. Unfortunately this will probably be a lot easier said than done.

Considering this is a laptop, more likely under the "W" key there was a little white post that the key locked on to. That post was a button that pushed down on the rubber cup that pushed against the carbon pattern. In order to clean it there will probably be a single film across the whole keyboard with all the little rubber cups on it. That will have to be removed and cleaned as well as the contacts on the circuit board. Isopropyl alcohol works well for this.

Last edited:
thAnks alot for the responses guys , helped me quite a bit.
yeah it definitely needs to be replaced , now i wake up and use my pc after my mom and sis been on it for hrs the shift key produces ONLY As and my A key produces varying A types.

Back