Windows 10 Windows 10 Programs Constantly Not Responding

StarOscarito

This is getting extremely frustrating. Ever since I downloaded Windows 10 I've been getting not responding issues. First my start menu didn't work so I reinstalled and it fixed it, but it didn't fix the not responding issues. For example, I have a ton of programs on my laptop that differ from one another, most being games. League of legends will randomly stop responding at times during the day, it repeats from every 20 minutes to every hour or so, Blade and Soul is even worse because everytime I'm at a loading screen to get to my next destination or going into a lobby, it'll stop responding and then I have to wait like a good 3-5 minutes just to get it to stop "not responding" and then I can move on. The problem is that this gets extremely annoying because of how repetitive it is. I wanted to rollback to Windows 8(Not 8.1) but I didn't have the option to in my recovery settings, even thought I backed up my windows.old file. I really need help with this, my friends are constantly waiting for me and it's really annoying because they get upset with the problem and it's not even their computer that has the problem.

Your computer must be doing something when it refuses to respond to you. The easy checks are
- it may be busy with updates: please go to All settings > updates > and check whether there are updates left over
- you may need to defrag your disks: right click on C: > select properties > Extra > Optimize and Defrag
- your AV may be scanning your disk

Let's check those easy things first, hope we find something

Your computer must be doing something when it refuses to respond to you. The easy checks are
- it may be busy with updates: please go to All settings > updates > and check whether there are updates left over
- you may need to defrag your disks: right click on C: > select properties > Extra > Optimize and Defrag
- your AV may be scanning your disk

Let's check those easy things first, hope we find something

Defragging fixed the problem only on league of legends. I still get the issue on Blade and Soul just not as frequently like before. No updates were left, I had everything updated and my AV wasn't scanning my disk.

I don't know that game. Is it waiting for resources from the network?

You may try to see what is going on by running the task manager. (Ctrl and Del , select Task Manager) Select more details. See under tab Performance which resource (CPU, memory, disk or network) goes upto 100%.

You may also try to increase Virtual Memory (if your system needs more memory it don't need to be created, it is there). It is specially not a bad thing to consider when the advised value is larger than the current value. The new initial value should be the current or advised value value, whatever may be the largest, max should be about 2 to 3 times the initial value.
  1. Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties
  2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
  4. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.
  5. Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box. The paging file should be on the C: drive
  6. Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.
But it may well be a badly designed interface of W10.

Anyone here who knows and runs this game? How does it perform on your computer?

Added: corrected a typo, it should read:
Do it only if the Current value exceeds the Adviced value, the new initial value should be the current value, max should be about 2 to 3 times the initial value

Last edited:
You might want to check Drivers. Most of the issues with windows 10 not responding is due to drivers issue. Make sure your drivers are fully updated.

Make sure you check Device Manager

You might want to check Drivers. Most of the issues with windows 10 not responding is due to drivers issue. Make sure your drivers are fully updated.

Make sure you check Device Manager

I checked my drivers and only the Bluetooth driver was outdated.

I don't know that game. Is it waiting for resources from the network?

You may try to see what is going on by running the task manager. (Ctrl and Del , select Task Manager) Select more details. See under tab Performance which resource (CPU, memory, disk or network) goes upto 100%.

You may also try to increase Virtual Memory (if your system needs more memory it don't need to be created, it is there). Do it only if the Adviced value exceeds the Current value, the new initial value should be the adviced value, max should be about 2 to 3 times the start value
  1. Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties
  2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
  4. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.
  5. Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box. The paging file should be on the C: drive
  6. Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.
But it may well be a badly designed interface of W10.

I did the steps but the current value is already higher than the adviced value. So I don't know if I should put the adviced value or leave it be.

I did the steps but the current value is already higher than the adviced value. So I don't know if I should put the adviced value or leave it be.

Than it can't hurt, set the new initial value to the current value (round it), and the max about 2 to 3 times the initial value.

But again it may well be a badly designed interface of W10 or a driver or what else.....

Last edited:
bochane, Thanks for the suggestion. Worked like a charm for me. It had gotten to the point that switching from one tab to another in any browser produced the "not responding" message, and a delay. Same problem moving to the window of any application. Everything took at least three times as long as it should have.

I admit that I have a lot of tabs and apps open on my Win 10 desktop. But it seems to me that the computer should adapt to my needs, and not vice-versa.

Back
Top Bottom