Windows 10 Windows 10 Version 1803

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
The Spring Creators Update is almost upon us:

This month, Microsoft will begin deploying its fifth feature update for Windows 10, updating the system to version 1803. Here’s what you can expect from this release, which is a fairly minor upgrade compared to previous feature updates.
First, a quick note about names.

The official name of this release is Windows 10 version 1803. This is the sixth version of Windows 10 overall since the system’s initial release in mid-2015. New versions of Windows 10 occur via feature updates, and the feature update that will upgrade your PC to version 1803 was codenamed Redstone 4 (RS4). Its final name has yet to be announced, but I’m now told it will not be called the Spring Creators Update.
Ref: Here Comes Windows 10 Version 1803 - Thurrott.com

Paul Thurrott has an excellent article on what's in store for users of the new build... Link is above.

Windows 10 version 1803 should begin deploying to end-user PCs on Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Last edited:
Quite a bit of emphasis on the Timeline, in the article. I'll have to google and find out what that is - lol.

I have installed, without a single problem, on three very different computers. One fresh, and two with keeping my data. again, no problems in either case. It took about 45 minutes, but this will be a little faster if you have a fast connection (I didn't), as it downloads quite a few updates during the process. It does not seem to make any difference , if you elect to check, at the start, for updates, or "Wait". At both stages in the install process, they will check and load updates anyway.
One diference, which may be annoying for some, is that you can no longer ask Cortana to search only on the computer. It searches there and on the web. Good news is that there is already a reg fix for the problem.

Microsoft has found a blocking bug that has temporarily postponed the planned release of Windows 10 Version 1803 to the public

Microsoft have now delayed the release of the Spring creators Update. Zac Bowden has tweeted on what caused the delay:
snipple.JPG

More details on his blog here: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-holds-releasing-windows-10-version-1803-public

Well, could be true, but, as Zac says on his own site "According to my sources", but doesn't reveal his sources!

Googling will confuse the issue even more. I have even read that the principal reason is a "geographical" objection to the name. Spring is only spring in Half of the world.

I will , with humility, stand to be corrected, but I believe that all MS have said, to date, on this matter, is that the release preview would be available to all (insiders?) in the release preview ring on the 9th Apr. There doesn't seem to be any further comment other than that.
But, it looks like a little "en passant" now. There seems to be another build on its way.

Capture.PNG

Clean install, took at most 20 minutes for windows and about an hour to get my software up and running.

yesterday I read cnet article about window 10 update ............ it was the pretty good experience
Thanx for kemical
You post your article in this forum

Many weeks ago, I downloaded and installed the 17134.1 on a spare laptop, but, on another, decided to let it go through the normal update processes.
I was apprehensive as to what would happen to the preinstalled Laptop, when the big day came, particularly after reading comments on the ".5" update
ultimately, it turned out that for reasons unknown, the ".5" was only for insiders.
I have been using both Laptops constantly, without errors.
I now find that after the April update, the untouched machine did, in fact update perfectly. The preinstalled one did nothing. But I finished up with both machines running the same version

fwiw. Both, and a couple of other machines I handle, updated perfectly.
I still have puzzlement regarding the flow of complaints, as in previous updates/upgrades. Surely brought on by personal hacks into the ealier releases, or, maybe MS have not done their homework .to cover all hardware possibilities?

I still have puzzlement regarding the flow of complaints, as in previous updates/upgrades. Surely brought on by personal hacks into the ealier releases, or, maybe MS have not done their homework .to cover all hardware possibilities?

I have not had any problems with the upgrade process and it seems they fixed an issue where Disk Cleanup was actually locking Windows.old. So no I don't see any issues with this update (vs. clean install). Although it may still be a good idea to clean install a system once in awhile I wouldn't consider it to be absolutely mandatory anymore unless you are having issues where it would be just more time expedient to wipe the whole system and start over. Malware, corrupt registry or irreparable Windows installation comes to mind. Although in the latter case, as far as "irreparable Windows installation" we may have covered that several thousand times in here, and there may be a work around :D

I always clean install the six monthly updates. I could more than likely upgrade but a clean install takes just over an hour, to be be back to where I left off.

Back
Top Bottom