Windows 10 Windows 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
I could be mistaken but.....
I noticed that my computer seemed to be acting oddly, a little slower than normal, not much just a little.
I wondered what the heck was going on.... could it be??
Seems I have a brand new folder on my C drive dated today and within that folder, a brand new install.esd, also dated today.
Hmmmmmm

Windows10.JPG

This is on my Windows 8.1 computer.

In Windows 8 here:

interesting.png

Well played, Microsoft. Well played.

Code:
============================================================
                      ESD File Info
============================================================

Arch: x64
 Language: EN-US
  Version: 10.0.10240

So off I go to Control Panel, Windows Update, just to see if I could trigger the thing "check for updates".... nada.
Stills says Windows 10 upgrade reserved...... We'll let you know.....

build10240.png

Day one patch for Windows 10 features over 1GB of fixes and improvements (download links)

The final build number consumers will update to on July 29th reads 10240.16405.150725-1815.th1, and those keeping track will notice the delta number has increased from 16384. Those upgrading will actually download 10240.16384 alongside the day one patch handsomely titled KB3074683, and will be applied automatically during the upgrade so by the time the consumer lands on the desktop, they'll be running 10240.16405.

So off I go to Control Panel, Windows Update, just to see if I could trigger the thing "check for updates".... nada.
Stills says Windows 10 upgrade reserved...... We'll let you know.....
Can you right-click properties on the c:\$Windows.~BT folder and get a readout of the file size (not file size on disk)? Here it is 6.10 GB (6,554,844,434 bytes).

Interesting the file size discrepancy .... wonder what might account for that?
And the number of files??

So.... OK....
You or me??
Who's going to be the first one to run Setup.exe from the root of the new folder.

I am reluctant to hit the button! However, here is something interesting:

C:\$Windows.~BT\Updates\GDR\598642fd-3d3d-4551-a84d-f50f144b6e4e\windows10.0-kb3074683-x64.cab

This appears to be the staging update for KB3074683, which, numerically speaking, would coincide with what WinBeta says will be the large update to this build that is being included with the installer.

I say both try it... ;) Doesn't seem to have come across the pond yet unless someone else in the UK say's different.

I just checked that now. Also it is important to note that trying to copy the entire $Windows.~BT folder WILL fail, as there appears to be a NTFS-encrypted SafeBoot area in that folder that can not be read by even a user with SYSTEM permissions. I had hoped to copy it and give the update a try in a virtual machine to see what would happen, but it is not possible.

update-history.png

I think it keeps looking for the next bit of the download... As soon as they release it your machines will grab it?

You must be referring to a non-Insider system. From what I read on the reserve a copy banner, it will be downloaded in the background, and at some appointed time a message will appear asking to install. Many folks are seeing the downloads already.

I suppose the build number puts the confusion over the RTM to rest...

Back