Windows 11 Windows 11 can’t pin documents library onto quick access

GLMidnight

Must be a bug or something; meaning that Windows 11 is still crap.

Don’t know if this is the right forum to post on.

My work uses Windows 11. They wanted to move from cloud storage to local storage. I successfully got rid of OneDrive and moved all the libraries to their local directories. Only problem is it still led to their OneDrive directory via quick access, and yes I can remove it, but If I add it then it would still go to the old directory and glitch (missing text). Only way to work around it is by making desktop shortcuts to libraries. Any fix?

Hello,

First, let's make sure we're adjusting Quick Access correctly. When you remove a folder from Quick Access, it should no longer be synced to the previous path unless it is added back manually. If a folder is directly added to Quick Access, it will link to its current path rather than reverting to a previous one.

Here are the steps to correctly pin a folder to Quick Access:

1. Open File Explorer.
2. Navigate to the desired folder (the new local directory, in your case).
3. Right-click on the folder.
4. From the context menu that appears, select "Pin to Quick Access".

This should ensure that the Quick Access links point to the new local folder rather than the old OneDrive directory. Engine behind Quick Access is smart enough to remember your new location.

Now, if you're trying to pin the entire "Documents" library (not just a specific folder within it), it appears that Windows 11 might not support this functionality at the moment, as many people have reported this issue after upgrading. We're waiting to see if Microsoft will address this in a future update.

Here's a temporary workaround:

You can create a shortcut to the "Documents" library on your desktop, and then drag that shortcut directly into the Quick Access area in File Explorer.

Let's do it step by step:

1. Navigate to "This PC" and find the “Documents” library.
2. Right-click on it, then choose "Create shortcut". It will tell you it can’t create the shortcut there and ask if you want it to be placed on the desktop instead. Click "Yes".
3. Go to your desktop, find the new "Documents - Shortcut", and just drag it to the Quick Access in your File Explorer.

Please note that this is not the most convenient solution as it requires some manual steps, but it should work fine until Microsoft provides official support for pinning the Libraries.

That being said, these steps might not work in all cases, as this issue seems to be variable between different machines and use cases. Please let me know if you're still having trouble after trying these steps, and I'll do my best to help sort it out!

Back
Top Bottom