Windows 7 Windows 7 64 bit screws up after BIOS update

Entre

Dear all,

After I updated my ASUS Rampage III Extreme BIOS (from the BIOS), I got booted into in older configuration of Windows 7.

I lost all my new files, and everything went back to what looks like an old restore point.

Can someone please explain why this might happen and (even better) a solution :)

Help is much appreciated.

My guess would be after the update, it changed the boot device in the bios. Have you gone through the bios and checked to make sure your settings are where you want them?

You might use the snipping tool and take a picture of the graphical representation of your system in Disk Management. Use the paperclip on the advanced replies to attach. From that we can probably tell what is happening.

Hi there,

I have attached some photo's from the BIOS. I am not much of a computing expert to decode what the some of the BIOS configs mean, but I guess they look alright..?

Also I have a screenshot from Disk Management.

BTW: I also run my 2 SSDs in a RAID1 (Mirror) --> Forgot to mention that one of the SSDs have reported to fail, and so the RAID is 'degraded'. --> possible factor in causing this mess?
-------------------------

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 316
  • N3 copy.jpg
    N3 copy.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    86.5 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
When it comes to RAID, you have me at a disadvantage. I have run a RAID for a few days, but have very little experience with it.

You Bios shot shows you running the SATA controller as IDE? Should that be RAID instead?

The bios also seems to show you first bootable device is Removable..is that set just for your current situation?

As far as your disk management, I believe the display will be different when you have RAID set in the bios, but I seem to remember a RAID setup being shows as one Disk.

You Bios shot shows you running the SATA controller as IDE? Should that be RAID instead?

I really don't know :)

The bios also seems to show you first bootable device is Removable..is that set just for your current situation?

Nope. I just updated it so that it checks the CD ROM drive, then the SSDs, then lastly, a removable device.

As far as your disk management, I believe the display will be different when you have RAID set in the bios, but I seem to remember a RAID setup being shows as one Disk.

So I should configure SATA as RAID in the BIOS, in regards to this?

Thanks for your support so far.

Yes, I would set it as RAID, since you are running one.

I do not know what the external drive boot option is currently doing, so if you have an external device, like some USB drive, you might try unplugging just in case.

Setting it back to RAID solved all my problems :)

I had already plugged out the external device.

Merci beaucoup Monsieur!

Back