Windows 7 Windows 7 64-bit uses too much RAM...

Sonic

Hi guys i'm new too the forums and i joined because i just installed Windows 7. System works great, all games and programs are running without a problem. There is just something strange. Yesterday i was checking the TASK MANAGER, went under performance and discovered something quite shocking..Windows is using way more than 1GB of RAM in idle:eek:

Anyway here is the performance picture:
Link Removed due to 404 Error
and the processes picture:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Can anyone please help me?:frown:

yea this is an issue everyone with the 64bit version has.. I recommend that if you are using less than 3gigs of ram to just install the 32bit version... BUT this does seem odd... I would assume this is a mistake and will probably be fixed...

yea i figured the 32bit only runs at about 500 megs of ram or less.. so if you were to install it then you would only have 2.5 gigs free... 3gigs that are support by 32bit and the 500 that windows takes up.... but the 64bit runs at about 1-1.4 so it equals out lol

Once again this is quite a puzzling situation. I do not know why it is using more RAM than it should be. Maybe this is how Microsoft designed the 64 bit version on purpose. JUST A THOUGHT. But i would not think too much of it for the time being and see what Microsoft fires back at us.

how much RAM is it supposed to use? I used vista x64 before and it used roughly 1.3-1.5GB of RAM on idle ... so I think 1GB is pretty awesome :D

Hi guys i'm new too the forums and i joined because i just installed Windows 7. System works great, all games and programs are running without a problem. There is just something strange. Yesterday i was checking the TASK MANAGER, went under performance and discovered something quite shocking..Windows is using way more than 1GB of RAM in idle:eek:

Can anyone please help me?:frown:

It is supposed to be making use of your ram, this is perfectly normal and as you say everything runs great. My advice is not to worry about ram usage and let the OS take care of things for you ;)

Could it be using more as the disc cache?

I have 8gb of ram and Vista x64 on my main machine so I won't be worried about it
when I finally get time to install Win7 x64, been busy playing with my Win7 x86 machine (and loving it)

You want it to use less RAM?
Here's how.
Start > right click "Computer" > Manage > Services and Applications >Services > Find "Superfetch" and right click, properties
Then, stop the process, and change Automatic to Disable.
Click Ok.

Restart your computer.

This will disable the program and file cache feature, freeing up RAM.

Also, just a note, that isn't idle. Paint, Firefox, Media Player, Messenger, Bittorrent and FRAPS don't count as idle.
Idle is a fresh boot with no background programs loaded.

It is supposed to be making use of your ram, this is perfectly normal and as you say everything runs great. My advice is not to worry about ram usage and let the OS take care of things for you ;)

Couldn't agree with u more. Its utilizing your ram via superfetch for next process/app execute. also the original poster had other apps running and then asking why is it using all my ram?? hmmmm. reboot and let the os idle then check ram usage.
also vista and w7 will use ram for video card pushup.

<untitled>

I do know that the memory addresses for 64 bit are twice as long as 32 bit. 64 bit does use more ram than 32 on the same exact build.

Sure. But if it's the same build, why is 64-bit version using almost three times more RAM than 32-bit version?

right. it shouldn't use THAT much more. but it is supposed to use more. I'd say memory leak somewhere. But then again, im not using 64 bit. I only got 2GB in my machine. If you switch to 32bit you'll only loose like ~512MB of RAM.

yea this is an issue everyone with the 64bit version has.. I recommend that if you are using less than 3gigs of ram to just install the 32bit version... BUT this does seem odd... I would assume this is a mistake and will probably be fixed...

OH!
Heres mine on a Laptop with only 2GBS.

Ok i went a little to far when i said three times more. Actually it's very close to two times(if not exactly two times more). My system uses 1.3Gb of RAM when i'm not doing anything. That's a bit lame..:rolleyes:

Ok i went a little to far when i said three times more. Actually it's very close to two times(if not exactly two times more). My system uses 1.3Gb of RAM when i'm not doing anything. That's a bit lame..:rolleyes:

That doesn't sound right. I just did a test on a freshly installed version of Windows 7 build 7000 x64 on a VM here at work. Nothing else installed.

On bootup, with 2048MB it used 522MB. With 4096MB it used 611MB.

That doesn't sound right. I just did a test on a freshly installed version of Windows 7 build 7000 x64 on a VM here at work. Nothing else installed.

On bootup, with 2048MB it used 522MB. With 4096MB it used 611MB.
:eek:

Now that's strange:confused:

I do know that the memory addresses for 64 bit are twice as long as 32 bit. 64 bit does use more ram than 32 on the same exact build.

I did a warm boot into windows and captured some ram specs and process specs. Hopes this helps to determine and compare why it may use more ram. Also I found out that windows will grab system ram for video ram pushup. I have 512 ddr3 on video board. Windows vista 32 and 64 did the same thing ( I guess for certain video cards). But I'm not sure. So I guess 512 is not enough?? Anyway, heres my idle screenies...

Back