Windows 7 64 install hang before loading

When I try to install the 64 bit version of 7 it hangs as soon as the monitor resolution changes, on a black screen. I can't hear the DVD spinning either. The 32 bit version works fine. My BIOS is newest version. I changed HPET to 64 bit. I googled around but everything I had referred to hangs after install. I tried a different download and burn and still the same result. Also tried a different monitor in case the refresh was too high or something. My CPU is a Intel e2180 the mobo is a Gigabyte P35-DS4 and the video card is Radeon HD3650. Thanks!

Last edited:
It's happening to me too!

Just downloaded the 64 bit RC and had the same problem.

The DVD is detected and I was prompted to "press any button to boot from CD".

Whereupon I did and then nothing happens and the screen go's black.

same issue on Dell 540

Im having the same issue on a Dell 540s quad proc system with Windows 7 x64 RTM. I've installed RC (x64 and x86) on several machines including a 540s dual core,with no problems at all.
I'm suspecting that mine is a hardware problem: it occasionally hangs in diag testing, esp on video tests. I wonder if Win7 stresses the vid card at that point (maybe to see highest resolution?) Tranceruk, have you tested video?

I'll have to try x86 version: curious that Silvr got that working.

Last edited:
Problem solved, it was the evil keyboard

Has anyone ever seen that one before? I went to install win7 on the next machine, and blammo, same freeze, same spot. I decided to start swapping everything. It was the Dell keyboard that stopped the win 7 install before it went to the graphical "language, keyboard, time/currency prefs". Grabbed a different keyboard and loaded both x86 and x64 versions of the RTM with no problems on both machines. Go figure...

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.