Windows 7 Windows 7 and possible CPU throttling issues?

terningen

Hello,

1st time poster - I hope I picked the correct section for my question / problem.

System specs :

64-bit Windows 7 Corporate edition
cpu : intel i7-860 @ 2.8ghz
mb : asus p755d le
ram : 4x2gb corsair xms2 ddr3-1066mhz
gfx : ati hd5970
hd : intel x25-m 80gb ssd
audio : asus xonar essence stx pci-e
psu : zalman 850w (zm850-hp)

This is the specs of a system i build about a month ago - I'm a very frequent player of world of warcraft, and I build this system based around that game, in hope of getting very good performance.

Fact is, im getting shitty performance - By shitty performance im talking about below 60 fps (ultra settings with v-sync enabled) in non-populated areas - I've spend countless hours searching google for solutions to my problem, and nothing I've tried so far has made any diffrence at all (anything from driver tweaks, in-game tweaks, config file tweaks) - Its as if my fps remains the same, regardless of what I try, except if I directly go and disable performance improving parameters of course, and this tells me that I may be tweaking in all the wrong places.

It's apparent that world of warcraft is more cpu dependant rather than gpu dependant, at least that's what I keep reading everywhere - So, my question to the experienced windows 7 people on this forum goes something like this :

Are there any mechanisms in windows 7 that prevents processes from using all the cpu they need?

The reason I ask is this - If World of Warcraft is so CPU heavy, why on earth doesn't the damn thing tax my cpu more than 18-20% - I'd love to the the damn thing using all of it or even 70%

I've tried to run the game process in high prio without any notable change in fps.

I've fiddled around with the speedstep option in bios, which didn't help either - With speedstep enabled cpu-z tells me the cpu is running @ ~1.8ghz, and 2.8ghz without.

When i benchmark my system with known freeware I get scores that indicate that my system is working as intented.

Yeah so, I'm completly out of things to try, and I'm hoping very much that someone on here may be able to shed a little light on my situation, or maybe got some tweaks to try.

Thanks in advance :)

Looks to me your rig is hugely overpowered for WOW so that means more likely a issue with drivers if the performance is poor, bearing in mind the ATi 5000 series drivers are still not fully matured for all games yet.....also have you tried VSYNC OFF? as ON will lock the refresh rate to 60fps disabling will unlock the full speed.

Last edited:
@highwayman

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, those are my thoughts aswell, which is also why I just dont get why the system wont perform as expected.

I've tried to disable v-sync, and that doesnt bring any changes at all - Im stuck at around 40 fps (ultra settings)

As far as I know vsync wants to run things at 60fps which is all I want really - Even if in reality I should be able to get maybe 100+ fps, I just want the 60fps (minimum) for smooth gameplay.

Maybe you're right, that its a problem with the 5970, I couldnt say.

When looking back at my previous system core2duo @ 3.16ghz with 4gb ram, ssd, and the ati hd4890 I could'nt get much better results either, which again and again leads me back to thinking : It has to be the damn game that isnt capable! - But there are several examples of people running ultra settings @ 60 fps with lesser hardware.

I just dont get it!

Could it possibly be related to 64-bit win7 rather than a 32-bit one? - Maybe?

Back
Top Bottom