Windows 7 Windows 7 Build 7601 (This copy of windows not genuine)

MARK RALPH

Hi,
I'm not computer savvy and I have joined this group out of shear frustration. I don't even know if I'm in the right group, but here goes. I've had my HP desktop for 2 years without a problem, now I'm getting this message (see title) in the bottom right corner. I've contacted HP and microsoft and both blame each other and both recomend that I re-format my computer. I was wondering if there was a less drastic alternative that someone might be aware of. I've tried system restore. And I've tried entering my product key which keeps coming up as invalid even though It's on my tower. Can I restore to factory defaults ?..... What should I do ???

There have been several threads about this type of scenario. Exactly what causes it, I don't know for sure, but there are files and processes in place constantly to check your install. If you are allowing updates, and have been re-certified lately, it should not have happened.

If you License key is showing invalid, are you typing it correctly, since some digits may be hard recognize. Any chance someone else is using your key?

If you called Microsoft, did they confirm your key was valid? Did you try doing a phone activation? Doing a repair install would reset things, but you would still need to reactivate.

Well Avast has had some posts on this. It happened on my Vista VM and I simply reentered the code. Some of MS updates have been suspected as a possible cause also. Probably phoning is the only way to resolve this.
Joe

Hi,
I'm not computer savvy and I have joined this group out of shear frustration. I don't even know if I'm in the right group, but here goes. I've had my HP desktop for 2 years without a problem, now I'm getting this message (see title) in the bottom right corner. I've contacted HP and microsoft and both blame each other and both recomend that I re-format my computer. I was wondering if there was a less drastic alternative that someone might be aware of. I've tried system restore. And I've tried entering my product key which keeps coming up as invalid even though It's on my tower. Can I restore to factory defaults ?..... What should I do ???

Can be caused by many things. check these in this order (easiest to hardest)

1-If system time if off by more than 30 seconds if will generate a non genuine message till you correct it. Sync computer time to MS.

2-Updates. Has any windows updates been applied when the problem started? remove them through add/remove

3-System file check. PLease run one to verify and repair OS files. Fairly easy.
Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.
To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
SFC /SCANNOW

Read here for more information SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Forums

Let us know the results from the report at the end.

4- Repair install. Using your win 7 dvd you can repair the OS (usually without losing data or applications but backup to be sure)

5-Clean re-install from dvd.

Back
Top Bottom