Windows 7 windows 7 can't copy file because the audio might be corrupt

frumbert

Can someone please explain why a file copy (drag from one folder to another) can't work because Windows can't decode the audio? What the hell is Windows doing - transcoding files on the fly? Sniffing file contents because it doesn't trust users? The file works (plays happily in the km player) but I just can't drag it to another folder because windows doesn't know how to read the audio file??? That's just stupid.

CdQGP.png

NLE stands for non linear editing system and may refer to either a video or audio editing tool (eg: mpg or mp3 editor).

NLE stands for non linear editing system and may refer to either a video or audio editing tool (eg: mpg or mp3 editor).

Not that it is any way related to a file copy operation, I use ffmpeg command line. I ripped the dvd using some shareware thing some time ago, and used ffmpeg to convert the file to mp4 so it can be played on my pvr (whose dvd drive is dead). I was trying to copy the file, window can't copy it because it can't read its audio. ??? that is just stupid.

I suspect that as with graphics files Windows is trying to associate the files with apps and codecs whenever the file is accessed for any purpose. It is annoying and should not be necessary but you may find a solution in moveonboot, a free utility from the link below. It allows file management actions to be defined within the Windows environment which are then implemented only on reboot before Windows can impose its limitations.

MoveOnBoot Free - Rename, Move, Delete Locked Files and Locked Folders on Restart

Back