Windows 7 Windows 7, cd dvd issues.

Stranger

I installed windows 7 Ultimate (a clean install) onto an older Dell XPS computer running Winsdows xp sp3. The problem
I am having is that I cannot access my cd or my dvd drive. The cd and dvd drives show up in device manager and says there are not conflicts and all is working properly. The problem is the dives don't show up in explorer and I can not access any cds or dvds in either drive.

CD drive recognized but not working

I am having the same/similar problem.

I upgraded my XP 64bit computer to W7 Prof 64bit. Now that W7 is installed and working properly my CD drive does not respond to me pushing the open/close button. But the drive is recognized in the Device Manager, however it does not allow me to access it when I right click the drive. It just freezes.

BTW, the Device Manager doesn't show that the CD drive has any problems.

Any thoughts on what to do? Thanks from Hoosier country.

d-

Problems here too....

Same issue here, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Samsung DVD R/W and LITEON IHOS104-37 BLU-RAY player.

Both show up in device manager as working properly but cannot read at all from the Samsung and can only read the root directory of the LiteOn. BIOS sees them both too.

Anyone know of a fix for this from Microsoft as I used the LiteOn to install Windows 7 on my machine so I know it works.

Cheers

Kol
'''

I had problems with my notebook after the install of 7 and found out i needed a driver from intel for the chipset to make the drive work as it should. It was called the "Intel matrix storage controller" which fixed all my problems for the ICH9 chipset which is in this notebook.

What is the chipset of your motherboard. ??

I had problems with my notebook after the install of 7 and found out i needed a driver from intel for the chipset to make the drive work as it should. It was called the "Intel matrix storage controller" which fixed all my problems for the ICH9 chipset which is in this notebook.

Hi TW,

AMD 64 x2 (dual) 5600+ (socket AM2) is my chip set.

You need to identify the make of the chipset on your motherboard, mine is Intel,.

Have a look at the manual that came with it, or the manufacturers website to find out what it is, and see if there is an updated chipset driver that you can download.

Thats all i can really suggest for now.

Chipset is AMD770 + SB710, both up to date. I have even tried the regedit hack and uninstalling the drives but to no avail.

It's got to be a Microsoft issue as I installed Windows 7 with the LiteOn Blu-ray disc with no problems at all. Looking around the net there others having the same issues regarding not being able to read/write to DVD players in 64bit.

Cheers

Kol
'''

Update

OK, this is getting stranger and stranger....

I can now watch blu-ray movies after installing PowerDVD 8 BD and also rip CDs using Ashampoo Music Studio 3 on the LiteOn DVD. Still no joy with 'normal' operations on either drive.

Curiouser and curiouser (or something like that).

Cheers

Kol
'''

I hope someone, even if it is Microsoft, finds a solution to this problem soon. Looks like this might be another loser from Microsoft.

I am not sure if this will work or not, but others claim it does. However I am not able to see the files to be removed on my machine. Please let me know if this works if you try it. I got this solution idea from a post from another forum by user 1Geron:

icon1.gif
hkeys location
You have to go to the search box at the start button and type in REGEDIT
then navigate your way to the hkeys that are related to the dvd/cd drivers. and then erase both the "upper and lower string data", field info.... only erase where it says upper field and lower field.

Steps:

Windows 7 DVD Drive Not Working or Missinghttp://www.sevenforums.com/# – Registry Fix

1. Click Start, and then click All Programs.
  2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
  3. Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters. You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
  9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  11. Exit Registry
  12. Restart the computer.

Last edited:
I just updated my motherboard's chipset to Windows 7 drivers...... No luck here either.

Is anyone else as frustrated as I am? It has been four days that my system has been without a CD ROM drive. I cannot load my Office 2007 or any of my other programs that I cannot download from the net. I think I'll install my new Lightscribe DVD burner and see if Win7 picks it up.......

d-

I'm having a version of this problem. I've installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7 on my laptop - no problems but when I try to start the installation on my desktop, it won't read the Windows 7 DVD. I have two copies of the 64 bit install DVD and neither of them will read (even though they worked on my laptop). I'm lost. I don't know if this is a Windows DVD problem or a drive problem although the drive will read other DVD's.
j.

I just updated my motherboard's chipset to Windows 7 drivers...... No luck here either.

Is anyone else as frustrated as I am? It has been four days that my system has been without a CD ROM drive. I cannot load my Office 2007 or any of my other programs that I cannot download from the net. I think I'll install my new Lightscribe DVD burner and see if Win7 picks it up.......
d-

Hi des,

Not much help but you can download Office 2007 here

Link Removed due to 404 Error

and use your product key from the box when prompted, it's what I ended up doing. When I get time (footie tonight) I shall strip out all drives and see if it works with just one HDD and the LiteOn blu-ray.

Cheers

Kol
'''

I am done trying to fix Microsoft's CD/DVD device problem(s). ...... I got a refund from Microsoft for my Windows 7 Professional upgrade (5-7 days to receive the refund). Purchased Windows 7 Professional OEM ($100 more) and will start from scratch.......However I still do not have a CD drive to ream my new OEM disk. Grrr....

Back