Windows 7 Windows 7 clean Install

irishmale

Hi I am a student and downloaded windows 7 64 bit as i want to upgrade my OS, I downloaded windows 7 esd and tried running it from my desktop but it wouldn't work as I have a 32 bit version of Vista Installed, I have downloaded Windows 7 ISO file and about to do a fresh Install using the disc... I just wanted to know if this is ok and will this work ok... My Computer is compatible for 64 bit OS

If you burned the .iso as an image, it should work doing a Custom(clean) install.

I've just replaced widows 7 32 bit system with 64 bit. I downloaded via ISO file and copied on to DVD. Then installed via a clean install. Everything worked really well and nearly all my software works well i.e Photoshop CS4 etc. Even my Raw convertor Nikon NX2 works and the that's not supposed to be compatible! However I'm not sure if I see much difference in speed, althought I notice that my CPU usage is reduced to around 1% when idling. Anyway my main motive was future proofing. Best of luck!

I think the difference may be that he got the digital rivers download and needs to apply a tweak to get it to burn a bootable disk... then he can boot to dvd and do the clean install to get the 32 bit upgraded to 64 bit.

You must have already had a bootable image or disk.

Yeah. I got my copy direct from the MS website and downloaded the ISO file option via the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to a bootable DVD.

Yeah. I got my copy direct from the MS website and downloaded the ISO file option via the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to a bootable DVD.

yeah.. his download are just the files from Digital Rivers.. he mentioned he was a student. That's not an iso and it takes some trickery to convert the files from DR into a bootable ISO... but if he wants to go to 64 bit he has to do what you did and boot to the disk in the dvd.

We're back to "clean" installs again:)

Yes, when you put the burned ISO in the DVD-ROM and reboot, choose the Advanced option rather than the Upgrade.

Be aware, you'll need to re-install all you 3rd party software.

We're back to "clean" installs again:)

Yes, when you put the burned ISO in the DVD-ROM and reboot, choose the Advanced option rather than the Upgrade.

Be aware, you'll need to re-install all you 3rd party software.

He doesn't have an iso.

think the difference may be that he got the digital rivers download and needs to apply a tweak to get it to burn a bootable disk

How does the Digital river download differ from and other download?

Last edited:
How does the Digital river download differ from and other download?

It's just the files. They come in two archivs with a program that builds a folder on your desktop and uncompresses them in to the folder. No iso, no boot manager files.... so you have to use a trick to build a bootable iso that you can write to disk and boot from. That's why it is so much easer to go to my blogs where I have about 9 or 10 direct links to microsoft for the full iso's .... it's simple to burn the iso, boot and install clean.

Thanks for the info, but I don't understand why they would make it so complicated.

To make it a little too complicated for college students to do a clean install. It's really simple if you are just going to upgrade... just click and click and click and it's installing the upgrade.

Tblount you keep mentioning "tricks" etc. to create a bootable DVD from a Digital River D/L, how about letting us in on the "trick".

Tblount you keep mentioning "tricks" etc. to create a bootable DVD from a Digital River D/L, how about letting us in on the "trick".

It's been posted and discussed in several threads here.... but I'll look it up for you.

First, method is this one: Link Removed - Not Found

But oscdmig would only give me an error.. and many other people... so I simply ran ultraiso put the files in an iso and use unetbootin to build a bootable usb install ... set my bios to boot to usb and removed all drives from you computer except one formatted ... and did the clean install. (Ultraiso has a way to make abootable disk but I couldn't figue it out... it kept asking for a flopppy disk.)

I know it has tblount, just thought you could mention the tweak for readers that don't know.
BTW, nice info at your blog(s).
I particularly like your .bat file for disabling task scheduler. Works great.

I know it has tblount, just thought you could mention the tweak for readers that don't know.
BTW, nice info at your blog(s).
I particularly like your .bat file for disabling task scheduler. Works great.

Actually you can just disable it through services... when you run MSCONFIG

You should use that method instead if you use True Image because it uses the task scheduler in the clone process.

Actually you can just disable it through services... when you run MSCONFIG

You should use that method instead if you use True Image because it uses the task scheduler in the clone process.
Actually msconfig won't let me uncheck Task scheduler.
The .bat file does the trick.
Incidentally trying to disable in services.msc is a no go either.

Actually msconfig won't let me uncheck Task scheduler.
The .bat file does the trick.
Incidentally trying to disable in services.msc is a no go either.

Wow... you are right. I didn't notice it keeps coming back. Damn... microsoft wants those diagnostics reports... but I hate that... it's just a matter of time before someone exploits this to send personal data to their server.

I'm going back to the old way.

Question, is this Task Scheduler behavior unique to Win 7 RC?
It would be nice if MS offered a choice to paying customers.
I would think that Task Scheduler in the final would be easily turned off.
Anyway your .bat file does the trick, is reversible (I used your .bat to create an enable .bat) and doesn't
appear to cause any problems, except maybe to MS.

I've been running the final since early August ... there is no option to turn off task scheduler... and I haven't noticed any problmes since turning it off ... except True Image seems to need it when cloning.. but I'm not sure.. I ended up reinstalling True Image when it gave me an error message. Haveing it off doesn't seem to bother Windows at all.

Back