Windows 7 Display / Screen Crashes

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by bendji, Jun 29, 2011.

1. bendji

bendji New Member

Hello,
    Recently I got rid of my Windows XP and installed Windows 7. In the beginning I didn't notice any discrepancies and I started filling my computer with useful programs. Unfortunately, I was interrupted by a crash that basically makes the screen become dark blue with lines going diagonal. Also what was strange was that when I used button combos such as alt+F4 and ctrl+alt+del it changed color and I could hear background noise the same as when it is running normally. Therefore, to sum it up, my monitor display crashes randomly even upon startup or when I use some programs. As a result I tried the Windows 7 compatibility checker and everything seemed alright. Anyways, looking forward for your help.
    Regards,

CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo 6300 1.86 GHz
    RAM: 2 GB RAM
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS

2. kaos

kaos Senior Member

make sure you have all windows updates installed, the correct drivers for your graphics card

3. bendji

bendji New Member

That actually didn't end up nicely. I got the newest drivers, restarted and then when I log in with my pass, it crashes in the above mentioned style and I could still hear background noise when using ctr+alt+del. So its not drivers...

4. kaos

kaos Senior Member

try booting safe mode, start pc hold f8 select safe mode, see if the problem persists in this mode :)

5. bendji

bendji New Member

Haha I have to say I 'm completely new to investigating problems on the pc but here's what happened. When it crashed in normal mode I was using MicrosoftFixItAero program. When I booted in safe mode, and used that program it crashed but not the display, the program had a critical error and i could still do others things unlike when it crashes during normal set up and I have to manually restart. Did I mention I have the same Windows 7 version installed on my lap top and it is working properly. Therefore, we ruled out updates and graphics drivers, what else could it be ..

6. bendji

bendji New Member

More information:
    In normal mode apps that make my screen crash/freeze don't work as well in safe mode without the overall freeze situation though they just receive a critical error.
    In safe mode it seems that all my drivers are up to date(used device manager, and then update on each single one) I have to verify for normal mode if thats true
    From my observations display crashes when video graphics get involved. Example: On Performance and Tools-> rate my computer, it crashed on analyzing video graphics, Display also became distorted and blurred when I tried running a small flash game from my usb. Once it crashed when opening a picture.
    Im writing this from safe mode, I m going to experiment in normal a bit more

7. bendji

bendji New Member

Furthermore:
    Apparently the graphics card should be replaced as it crashes in normal mode always when I try engaging it: images, games, tests, and randomly as well. Oddly i can run win7 mostly without the forementioned. Any solution other than replacing video card ?

8. kaos

kaos Senior Member

i would say try the onboard graphics and remve the card completly, if it works fine then you know its an issue with the card or slot :)