Windows 7 Windows 7 Does not boot

hmm

I've been running a dual boot of Vista and Win 7 on a 190gb (C:\) and 30gb (D:\) partition quite well for a few months. I decided to get rid of the Vista partition and reclaim the space. So, I used Acronis to format the Vista partition, which then rebooted and then I used the Win 7 CD recovery tool to type "bcdboot D:windows". This worked well, got loaded into Win7. The Win 7 partition was still 30gb and the vista partition was just a blank drive. So, I used Acronis again to reclaim the space so I would have one drive. Acronis performed it's task, but typing "bcdboot c:windows" did not work. Neither did "Bootsect /NT60 c: /force" I am stumped.

Last edited:
When you deleted Vista did you go to msconfig and remove Vista from boot tab?
Joe

When you deleted Vista did you go to msconfig and remove Vista from boot tab?
Joe

No. After the format, I booted into Win 7 fine after running "bcdboot D:\windows" in the repair console. It was only after I merged the two partitions (changing the Win7 partition to C:\) that this started.

I do not know what the bcdboot command does, but did you use it to change to C:

Can you boot into safe mode or a command prompt by hitting F8?

I do not know what the bcdboot command does, but did you use it to change to C:

Can you boot into safe mode or a command prompt by hitting F8?

After POST, I just get a blinking underscore. Cannot boot into anything.

I used the Win 7 CD recovery tool to type "bcdboot D:windows". This worked well, got loaded into Win7.

Did you try doing the same thing but using C: instead of D: If you can't boot into the same situation, use the install DVD and choose Repair after the initial information collection.

Try the startup repair option. If that does not work, try to get into the Command window and type bcdedit. Look at the bootloader and see where the loader is pointing, it should say something like:
\Windows\system32\winload.exe
partition=C:

If it says D:, then you know your problem is, assuming you did change the partition to C: .

Did you try doing the same thing but using C: instead of D: If you can't boot into the same situation, use the install DVD and choose Repair after the initial information collection.

Try the startup repair option. If that does not work, try to get into the Command window and type bcdedit. Look at the bootloader and see where the loader is pointing, it should say something like:
\Windows\system32\winload.exe
partition=C:

If it says D:, then you know your problem is, assuming you did change the partition to C: .

Startup repair could not detect a problem.

d:\ is now the DVD drive, bcdboot doesn't work

bcdedit shows that the
device partition=C :
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
osdevice partition=C:

Well, things are getting better for you because I am out of other ideas..:frown:

But, you might try setting the partition to active. You may be able to do this using the Disk Options button from the Install disk or you may have to go into a command prompt and use Diskpart. I would give you the systax, but I seem to be having problems with that.

I was thinking because you booted to the partition earlier it must be active, but that may not be the case.

try
insert your windows 7 dvd, then on the second screen (after choose your language) go to repair your computer.
go to command prompt and type in:
bootrec /fixmbr
press enter.
Then type this in:
bootrec /FixBoot
press enter.
reeboot

heres the details on the microsoft recovery options support site ........

let us know how it goes ;)

or if your prefer download burn and use Link Removed - Invalid URL for MbrFix 1.3 option under MBR (Master Boot Record) Tools section :)

personally I might have given up by now as after trying for a few hours although it's nice to dig and discover new things the option of a fresh install can often take far less time in the long run :D

Last edited:
try
insert your windows 7 dvd, then on the second screen (after choose your language) go to repair your computer.
go to command prompt and type in:
bootrec /fixmbr
press enter.
Then type this in:
bootrec /FixBoot
press enter.
reeboot

heres the details on the microsoft recovery options support site ........

let us know how it goes ;)

or if your prefer download burn and use Link Removed - Invalid URL for MbrFix 1.3 option under MBR (Master Boot Record) Tools section :)

personally I might have given up by now as after trying for a few hours although it's nice to dig and discover new things the option of a fresh install can often take far less time in the long run :D

I've done those commands without success. bootrec /fixboot outputs "The volume does not contain a recognized file system"

I might just have to do what I did not want to do: fresh install.

ouch :mad:

it's beginning to look like Acronis may have damaged your file system in the format but I'm not sure why unless you tried to move the partition ?

did you try the /RebuildBcd command as this scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7 ?

ouch :mad:

it's beginning to look like Acronis may have damaged your file system in the format but I'm not sure why unless you tried to move the partition ?

did you try the /RebuildBcd command as this scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7 ?

You may be right. /rebuildbcd detected 0 Windows installations so that did not work. It seems that when I expanded the Win7 into the formatted Vista partition, I got screwed up. Time to reinstall everything.

Well, just for your general information then. I just duplicated your situation with the Vista install on C: and the Win 7 install on D:. The D: partition in which I installed Win 7 is not marked as active. Only the C: partition is active, so I still believe when you wiped it out, you replaced it with a non-active partition. Acronis should tell you that.

But, whatever works for you...

Edit: This information is not correct, the old partition was marked as active during the repair

Last edited:
Well, it took 2 boots to get my system back after deleting the Vista partition. Sometimes it takes startup repair several passes. Good Luck with yours!!

This is how I removed windows 7 RC Link Removed - Invalid URL . Then I formatted with windows disk management. I then used Acronis disk director to merge with my data partition. I have seen that some people have problems when Acronis to format for windows 7..
Joe

After I got my install to boot, I still had an offset of 40GB where the Vista partition had been and my boot partition was not D: I could not get Windows to move it or change the drive letter.

I was thinking, that if the boot would have been restored prior to Acronis being used to move the partition, maybe it would have worked. but I cannot check since I do not have that version. I ended up doing a upgrade install to move the programs to the C: partition. I suppose if you have Acronis, you could make a partition image and then replace it where ever you wanted.

Right now, this stuff is still a lot of smoke and mirrors to me!!

Hi,
I am posting this to help those after me who encounter this same problem.

If you are encountering the "volume does not contain a recognized file system" error when attempting bootrec /fixboot, even after successfully running all other bootrec commands (fixmbr, rebuildBCD), and are still getting the NTLDR is missing error....

I discovered the fix was to run Win7 Repair via install disk, and at the command prompt, type in

bootsect /ntfs60 C: (replace drive letter with your boot drive letter)

This will re-apply the master boot code and repair the boot sector despite bootrec /fixboot's failure. Hope this helps someone in the future...

Back
Top Bottom