Windows 7 Windows 7 Doesn't Reconize my External Hard Drive

cgrim29588

I have a WD My Book 110 External Hard Drive and when I plug it in and go to my computer to access the files on it the drive doesn't show, but if I go to the start menu and type b: in the search box it shows the files and the drive also shows in Disk Management, so why isn't it showing in My Computer and how can I get it to show?

I have a WD My Book 110 External Hard Drive and when I plug it in and go to my computer to access the files on it the drive doesn't show, but if I go to the start menu and type b: in the search box it shows the files and the drive also shows in Disk Management, so why isn't it showing in My Computer and how can I get it to show?
Open explorer> Organnize(top left) drop down arrow>folder and search options>view> make sure radio button show hidden files and drives is checked> make sure box hide empty drives is unchecked.
Hope this helps

The only other thing I can think of is try a different drive letter. B: is usually reserved for the old flex drive that are not used anymore, typically they were A: and B: then first hard drive C: then DVD/CD as D: then the USB devices. If the system assigned the B: letter it should br OK but if you did it might be the problem. I would try assigning the next leter after you last installed drive in the PC.
If you have a USB key and plug it does it show as the next drive letter, does it show at all. Also after the changes try a reboot to clear memory.

If this does not help maybe someone else has a better idea.

In Disk Management is the drive shown as online? If not change that. Is this drive formatted for Windows? The first WD external I got was formatted for Mac and took me a while to figure it out. It wasn't marked that well and easy to overlook.
Joe

Unfortunately I have the exact same problem. I already tried to give my external hard drive a different letter, but this doesnt work because its "read-only".
I can go to the disk properties in my device manager. It doesnt help though because I cant change any settings. ... so I have no Idea anymore ...maybe someone
still has a suggestion?

Hi, you cannot find the hard drive in My Computer because I believe you need an external power adapter. If you connect only the USB cable, W7 will detect new hardware and that it. You will only see it in computer management. Don't worry about the drive letter, once you plug the power it will assign a drive letter. Try it and let me know.

Hi, you cannot find the hard drive in My Computer because I believe you need an external power adapter. If you connect only the USB cable, W7 will detect new hardware and that it. You will only see it in computer management. Don't worry about the drive letter, once you plug the power it will assign a drive letter. Try it and let me know.

I have to agree with ITSS 8. Even when I use an external DVD burner it has to be plugged into USB port and it's own power source.

Have you tried different USB ports? On a desktop use one on the back and don't use a hub. If it's a powered drive move the plug to a different receptacle instead of power strip.
Joe

Back