Windows 7 Windows 7 doesn't see my USB drive.....

dkperez

I have several drives in the Windows 7 box, both IDE and SATA. They all work fine. I put a drive that was working fine into a USB enclosure and plugged it in. Rebooted the system, and although I couldn't see the drive in the BIOS (it goes by too fast), but I presume it's getting found because after rebooting I went into the disk management. The popup says I need to Initialize the drive.

Actually, this is a drive I had plugged into an internal IDE slot, so it's already been initialized, partitioned, and formatted on this system. BUT, since it wanted to initialize it, I told it to go ahead.... Instead I got an immediate popup that says "Incorrect Function".

I can't initialize the drive and it shows in Disk Management as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized".

How do I get this system to let me use external drives?

I have several drives in the Windows 7 box, both IDE and SATA. They all work fine. I put a drive that was working fine into a USB enclosure and plugged it in. Rebooted the system, and although I couldn't see the drive in the BIOS (it goes by too fast), but I presume it's getting found because after rebooting I went into the disk management. The popup says I need to Initialize the drive.

Actually, this is a drive I had plugged into an internal IDE slot, so it's already been initialized, partitioned, and formatted on this system. BUT, since it wanted to initialize it, I told it to go ahead.... Instead I got an immediate popup that says "Incorrect Function".

I can't initialize the drive and it shows in Disk Management as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized".

How do I get this system to let me use external drives?
In device manager, uninstall all of your USB drivers and let Win7 reinstall them. Works for me.

Back