Windows 7 doesn't see my USB drive.....

I have several drives in the Windows 7 box, both IDE and SATA. They all work fine. I put a drive that was working fine into a USB enclosure and plugged it in. Rebooted the system, and although I couldn't see the drive in the BIOS (it goes by too fast), but I presume it's getting found because after rebooting I went into the disk management. The popup says I need to Initialize the drive.

Actually, this is a drive I had plugged into an internal IDE slot, so it's already been initialized, partitioned, and formatted on this system. BUT, since it wanted to initialize it, I told it to go ahead.... Instead I got an immediate popup that says "Incorrect Function".

I can't initialize the drive and it shows in Disk Management as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized".

How do I get this system to let me use external drives?

I have several drives in the Windows 7 box, both IDE and SATA. They all work fine. I put a drive that was working fine into a USB enclosure and plugged it in. Rebooted the system, and although I couldn't see the drive in the BIOS (it goes by too fast), but I presume it's getting found because after rebooting I went into the disk management. The popup says I need to Initialize the drive.

Actually, this is a drive I had plugged into an internal IDE slot, so it's already been initialized, partitioned, and formatted on this system. BUT, since it wanted to initialize it, I told it to go ahead.... Instead I got an immediate popup that says "Incorrect Function".

I can't initialize the drive and it shows in Disk Management as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized".

How do I get this system to let me use external drives?
In device manager, uninstall all of your USB drivers and let Win7 reinstall them. Works for me.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.