windows 7 file sharing

Hi I am trying to share files between pc and mac over lan.
I am having trouble figuring it out. I have read a lot of different tutorial on the
subject which only made me more confused.
The main thing I dont understand is I read that to share files on the mac you need
to enable password protected sharing. I enabled it but I dont understand how to set the password for it? is it just my windows password? I am the only user on my pc, but I do not show up under the file sharing options, my account is called steven nowak but it only lists 'everyone' as a 'share with..' option, so to log in from the mac would I have to type steven nowak as the user name? and If i wanted to give access to a specific folder to someone I didnt want to have my main windows password would I really have to create a whole account for that person on my pc even thought they wont be using it directly only accessing a small portion of the files? Or does anyone know an easy step-by-step way to share files between a pc and mac with windows 7 and os x. I have tried everything I can think over the past few months, and still cant see the pc on the mac. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Steven

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.