Windows 7 Windows 7 Firewall Error

loafty

Honorable Member
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, now when i go to Control Panel and then to Windows Firewall I notice that it is turned off with box saying " update your Firewall settings " use "recommended settings " so I click on it and then I get a message coming up saying " WINDOWS FIREWALL CAN'T CHANGE SOME OF YOUR SETTINGS. ERROR CODE - 0x80070424 " so I have no idea what I can do to get the firewall working properly so am hoping someone can please help me, Thank You

Hopefully, Cat's link will repair your system.

The error means:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

which is a little strange for a major component. The Windows Firewall service (MpsSvc) should be running unless you, or something else, has turned it off. And it does depend on 6 other services which must also be running or avaliable.

If you have problems, you might do an anti-virus check, and run a System File Check for your system file integrity, if the link does not run one. To do an SFC, open an administrative command prompt and type SFC /scannow and let it finish and see if it mentions anything about not being able to repair files.

Last edited:
thanks for trying to help but still no good, so really hope someone can help

ran the sfc/scannow and it came back saying windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. So have no idea what to do now as don't really want to do fresh install as will lose all my installed programs etc, just hoping someone might have an idea on how to fix this problem.

What security are you running? I will have other comments/advice depending of this answer.

Try the following:
1. System Restore.
2. > cmd, Run as Admin, type, chkdsk /r/f
3. Run a Repair from the OS disc

Regards,
Drew

Is its Firewall on? & have you tried what you are attempting w/ Avast disabled / shut off?

the Windows 7 firewall is off. I have tried turning off Avast but it didn't do anything either

i have the router firewall running but that has been running ever since had computer so that is not effecting anything. Avast only has, web,file system,network,behaviour,script,IM,P2P and mail shields

& none of that is a firewall in Avast?... The router, as a firewall, isn't an issue.
If there is no firewall in Avast to disable then, just go ahead w/ the other items I suggested.
& the Repair I mentioned can be done w/out impacting on Personal Data.

Try the following:
1. System Restore.
2. > cmd, Run as Admin, type, chkdsk /r/f
3. Run a Repair from the OS disc

Last edited:
drew I tried to do a repair using instalation cd were you go and select UPGRADE option but a messages comes up saying my program is better than upgrade and then wont let me go any further, so that idea is not going to work either unless you have another way. I do appreciate all your help. Thanks

There is an option to "Repair your Computer" during the install process, near the bottom of the install screen. It's in small print, but it's there. Reboot with the disk & look for it, then select that option. It should repair your computer, unless there's major issues to be addressed.

Once you get this thing right, backup your computer, so that you'll have something to fall back on. Disable your AV while doing so.

Cat

Cat & Drew, tried to do recovery with instalation cd but the Windows back up image was only done last Sunday as I use the space saver option were it doesn't keep earliear back ups so it was of no use to me, I also tried earliear to do system restore but could only go back a week or so as the earliear ones wouldn't do the restore so that was no use. I wonder if there is a way were i could download the Windows Firewall and reinstall it on my computer might fix problem, as this is becoming a real pain

Nope, that is not possible. Firewall is part of the OS. Not something that can be DLed & installed.

loafty, what I believe that you need is an install disk that matches your key. A fresh install could've already been done & been over with.

You stated that when you tried the repair with the DVD, it's saying that the installed system is better than your upgrade disk. What you can do is download the disk that matches your OS, and try either System Repair or sfc /scannow (Run as Administrator) with that. Not sure what OS you have, but that's right, a Pro disk often won't repair an Ultimate install.

Here are the links to the full install disks.

Download Windows 7 Integrated With SP1 ISO – Official Direct Download Links

They're getting harder to find. Get them while you can.

Cat

when i went to do repair it said my windows 7 disk is was better than the updates that were available. I have an original instalation set 32 &64 bit windows 7 ultimate with proper key

Your computer doesn't have a "F11" or similar key that reinstalls the OS from a recovery partition? There must be a way to recover your OS, as in starting over from scratch if necessary.

Have you tried removing Avast altogether, just to see what happens? And is your computer running at all? There are utilities that can clean things up, if needed.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom