Windows 7 freezes when browser open after system up for a while

I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit from Vista. If launch browser it doesn't matter if IE8, Firefox, Chrome after a period of time if I perform any activity e.g. click on a link, open a new window, enter command in command prompt the system freezes for a while before responding the cpu, memory lightly utilized while this is happening. I've run msconfig, run Avira antiVirus Premium nothing special on machine. If I don't open a browser this does not happen. I have a laptop that i've upgraded also and it does not exhibit this problem.:confused:

I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit from Vista. If launch browser it doesn't matter if IE8, Firefox, Chrome after a period of time if I perform any activity e.g. click on a link, open a new window, enter command in command prompt the system freezes for a while before responding the cpu, memory lightly utilized while this is happening. I've run msconfig, run Avira antiVirus Premium nothing special on machine. If I don't open a browser this does not happen. I have a laptop that i've upgraded also and it does not exhibit this problem.:confused:
Your problem, although new to me, doesn't surprise me. I've seen and read of strange things when upgrading from Vista. If you want full, uninterrupted operation, do a clean install. If you only have a Win7 Upgrade Disk, not a problem. Plenty of discussion in this forum on how to do a clean install with an upgrade disk.

If it was only happening in one browser, I would suspect an add-in but that is not likely with the same problem from multiple browsers.

Looks like this is a power management problem if I disable sleep mode problem goes away. I've updated NIC and display drivers may have to try upgrading bios and others

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.