Windows 7 has somehow messed up my user account.

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by DrwHem, May 25, 2011.

1. DrwHem

DrwHem Well-Known Member

I run windows 7 on an ASUS N81VG with smart logon. which allows me to identify facial recognition to log into my user accounts.
    I updated windows 7 and when i logged on with smart logon i saw that my desktop was naked and it had me logged on as a new user. all my files and icons are gone. i went into the user account folder and i can see my account of Drew is in there with all the proper files and desktop. how do i go about loading that user account? when i goto switch user it only lets me choose from the one account.

2. DrwHem

DrwHem Well-Known Member

I have restarted 2 times now and each time it says preparing your desktop then loads the same as before. i also tried doing a system restore to before the update and still have the same problem. anyone out there help me please

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Can you go into safe mode and possibly disable the smart logon service? Is there any key sequence that would get you back to a normal logon screen?

Any updates to the utility?

4. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

If you cannot get into safe mode, open a global Admin account and remove the facial logon facility there. There are several threads related to the admin account, but, for info, I repeat:

There are a couple of ways:

Open a command prompt (Run as Administrator).
    Type the following command and enter.
    net user administrator /active

Log out and see if you have a new alternative login, as well as your existing one. If not, do it the long way.

Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following
    net user administrator /active
    Log out and log back in as administrator.
    OR

Go to Start
    Type Control UserPasswords2. (or Open the Start menu, and type lusrmgr.msc )
    Click Advanced.
    Click Advanced again.
    Select Users.
    Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
    Now log out and login as Administrator.

The action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.

5. DrwHem

DrwHem Well-Known Member

I dont think i can remove the Smart Logon. it came integrated into the laptop. i ended up doing a system restore to right before i updated windows and that seems to have resolved the problem as long as i dont update windows anymore.